What’s On: The Southampton Edition

0

Welcome to Southampton pre-sessional students!

If you are ever feeling bored, or if you simply want to try something new, then there are plenty of things that you can see and do in Southampton – even if, sometimes, you just have to search a bit harder than usual to find them.

The following list consists of just some of the MANY events that will be happening in Southampton during your stay…

OUTDOOR CINEMA
Dates: 1 July – 3 September, various times | Venue: Hoglands Park, SO14 1NH
This is a cinema experience with a difference! Watch the classic films The Breakfast Club (2 July), The Lion King (3 July), Back To The Future (5 August) or The Notebook (6 August) under the stars. You can find out more and book tickets at www.hijackcinema.co.uk.

SOUTHAMPTON THAI FESTIVAL
Dates: 2 & 3 July, 11am – 7pm & 11am – 6pm respectively | Venue: Mayflower Park, SO14 2AQ
This event will feature live music and performances, cooking demonstrations, Thai food stalls, arts and crafts, dancing, a live Thai boxing tournament, plus more. There is an entry fee of £3. See www.facebook.com/southamptonTF for more information.

CLOCK TOWER TOURS AT SEACITY MUSEUM
Dates: 2 July – 18 September, 10:30am – 11:30am | Venue: SeaCity Museum, SO14 7FY
Climb up the city’s clock tower to view Southampton from a different angle! The tours are available every first Saturday (2 July, 6 August, 3 September) or every third Sunday (17 July, 21 August, 18 September) of the month at SeaCity Museum. The cost is £6 (excluding admission to the museum). Book in advance to avoid disappointment. Want more information? Visit seacitymuseum.co.uk.

SOUTHAMPTON MELA FAIR
Date: 16 July, 12pm – 9pm | Venue: Hoglands Park, SO14 1NH
Enjoy music and dance styles from around the world. Have a go at Zumba, join in an African drumming workshop or try Bollywood dancing. Free entry! The programme can be found at www.southamptonmela.com/programme.

LET’S ROCK SOUTHAMPTON!
Date: 9 July, 12pm – 10:30pm | Venue: Southampton Common
A festival filled with 80s music. The line-up features Rick Astley, the subject of the rickrolling meme. More information is available at www.letsrocksouthampton.com and www.facebook.com/letsrocksouthampton.

MAYFLOWER THEATRE
Dates: various | Venue: Mayflower Theatre, SO15 1GE (virtually next door to Mayflower Halls!)
Catch a show at the South Coast’s largest theatre. Amongst the performances are Thriller Live (18 – 23 July), Cats (9 – 20 August) and Mamma Mia! (13 September – 8 October). Take a look at www.mayflower.org.uk to find out more.

HAMPSHIRE FARMERS’ MARKET
Date: 24 July, 10am – 2pm | Venue: Guildhall Square, SO14 7FW
Have a browse through the wide selection of locally-produced foods, plants, crafts and gifts available. Additional information can be found at www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/events/hampshire-farmers-market-8241 and www.hampshirefarmersmarkets.co.uk.

WANT TO SEE WHAT ELSE IS ON?
• Discover Southampton (www.discoversouthampton.co.uk) is a good place to check out.
• A general guide about what to do in Southampton can be found at www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/life-in-city/southampton.page.
• For events organised by the University of Southampton’s Students’ Union, visit www.unionsouthampton.org/calendar.

VENTURING FURTHER AFIELD…
Southampton has very good transport links to the rest of the country, so there should be very few things stopping you from visiting places beyond the city! For instance, the historic city of Winchester is only a 10-minute train ride from Southampton Airport Parkway station. Take a browse through the rest of this magazine for more ideas…

(Disclaimer: I have not been paid/sponsored to promote any of these events.)

Subeditor for the Features, Pause and Sport sections. Dislikes the Oxford comma. Runs on caffeine.