Pride is Coming to Southampton

0

For LGBT+ circles, pride events which celebrate the colour and life of the community are some of the most important events on the calendar. Pride is a beautiful and universal reminder that love wins, it conquers all.

The world needs a reminder. Everyone has heard of the New Orleans terrorist attack and the brutal repression, only this week, of LGBT activists in Turkey and beyond. It is a stark reminder that, despite our journey towards freedom, we still have so far to go.

But, even with and despite these bitter and devastating challenges, the global LGBT community remains strong, beautiful and proud. It will continue to fight against fascism, it will continue to fight for the right to choose who we love, with kindness and open arms.

Image Credit: Pixabay
Image Credit: Pixabay

Pride is, in all respects, a rebellion – a rebellion against the historical stigma attached to the LGBT community. The movement originated in the protests for civil rights in the 1950s and 60s. It is a reminder of the love and support which equality activists have for one another, a reminder that we can celebrate what we have achieved, and who we are.

Following Winchester and other cities in the UK, Pride has been chosen to come to Southampton, in the hope that the city can become part of the vibrant celebrations. So why hasn’t Pride come to town earlier? Certainly, it is overdue.

News of Pride has been met with welcome and celebration by the city’s residents. As a tolerant and open minded city, people are thrilled at the chance to participate in this event for the first time ever. Over 1000 people look set to attend.

Southampton should be proud to have a chance to take part in these events. They are symbolic of respect, and remind us that, as a form of love, homosexuality must be accepted.

The event is taking place from 11:00 on Sunday 28th August at The Stage Door, West Marlands Road.