Society Spotlight: Doctors of the World

Doctors of the World UK are part of the international Medecine du Monde network, with the aim of providing healthcare to vulnerable people all around the world. The charity has chosen 4 universities to create an initial partnership with, and the University of Southampton were lucky to be one of them! The charity works with students to closely arrange talks, debates, training opportunities and most, importantly, fundraising events! There is no weekly commitment and certificates are always provided for addition to your portfolios/Linkedin profiles to give you an edge on the competition when applying for jobs and internships. 

Is Doctors of the World just for doctors?

Absolutely not! The name can put some people off; but it’s a society aimed at anyone who is interested in global health. We need students who are studying nursing, psychology, business, economics, you name it! Even if you have no background in healthcare; but you’re interested in learning more about the refugee crisis, we have events with world-renowned guest speakers who have experience in the field. If you do have a background in medicine or nursing and want to work in developing countries once you qualify, we have training sessions to equip you with the skills needed for such jobs.

What makes Doctors of the World different to Doctors without Borders?

Doctors without Borders is a fantastic charity, and we hope to collaborate with them in the future. We are similar in that we both believe in a world in which all vulnerable people should receive healthcare, no matter where they are or what their circumstances are, but we are different in that we focus on long-term interventions. We run both UK and international programmes with more than 3,000 dedicated volunteer doctors, nurses, psychologists and support workers. We focus on teaching the local community how to implement care themselves, and we don’t do quick fixes.

What kind of fundraising do you hope to do?

Fundraising is all about being creative, and we pride ourselves on fun and challenging events to raise as much money as possible. We hope to organise gigs, parties, marathons, assault courses and a few more tame events to tide us over!

When is your first event?

Our first event will be ‘Global Health: Lessons Learnt and Ways Forward’. We are very lucky to be welcoming guest speakers Yvonne Lo, head nurse of the Ebola clinics in Sierra Leone, Professor Chris Bulstrode, CBE. and our Doctors of the World liaison Tom McKenzie will also be outlining what the charity is about, and how we as students can get involved. Please find our event on Facebook and we hope to see you there!

Date: 12th October

Time: 18.30

Where: Building 58 (room 1067)

More articles in Society Spotlight
  1. Society Spotlight: HistSoc
  2. Society Spotlight: RAG
  3. Society Spotlight: Doctors of the World
  4. Society Spotlight: SUCC
  5. Society Spotlight: Vixen Cheer
  6. Society Spotlight: RecBad
  7. Society Spotlight: SUSUtv
  8. Society Spotlight: GerSoc
  9. Society Spotlight: Hillwalking
  10. Society Spotlight: LawSoc
  11. Society Spotlight: Melodics
  12. Society Spotlight: Student Switch Off Society