Sport and Wellbeing: The Importance of Exercise for Combatting Stress, Part Two

In this second part, I continue to talk to the Reps about advice they would give to other students, and also what we can expect from HistSoc Sport this year…

Suzie, in your speech when running for Female Sports rep, why did you emphasise the link between combatting stress with sport?

Suzie: I emphasised the link because of my own personal experiences, but also because I seen stress in a lot of university students. From my own friends, to random people around campus who were evidently upset and stressed. I don’t think a lot of people realise how beneficial sport really is to relieving stress. Even if you’re doing one exercise class as week, for that one hour you’re focused on something, and not thinking about how difficult that essay is, or worrying about a deadline. Additionally, if you have a healthy body you will have a healthy mind.

Credit History Society, Facebook
Credit History Society, Facebook

Why is sport important to you guys?

James: Sport is something I enjoy and has played an integral part of my life for the last 15 years since I took up football!

Suzie: Sport has so many beneficial characteristics. Not only is it good for your body and mind but it helps you with communication skills, your overall confidence and team work. All pretty cliché, but these skills are so useful in life and the workplace.

Can you give advice to those who are looking for ways to get involved in sport?

Suzie: Join lots of Facebook pages and looking what’s available to you, and just give it a go! Even if you don’t think it’s for you.

James: Don’t be worried about trying something new or worrying that you won’t be good enough. Every single person has started out as a beginner at some point in every sport and it is only practice that allows people to improve! Don’t be afraid to turn up to taster sessions or ask people to join new teams!

Looking after yourself in imperative whilst being independent at university, can you give any tips for a distressful lifestyle?

Credit: History Society, Facebook
Credit: History Society, Facebook

James: I like to have a routine. I try to get up early at the same time every time, and go to bed at a reasonable time. This allows me to set aside time to do work and have a social life. I try to have a healthy diet as well, and this is probably the hardest thing to achieve. However, by buying certain foods it forces me to stick to my food plan for the week and keep a reasonably healthy diet.

Suzie: Planning meals would be an easy place to start. It takes the stress away from having to think about what to cook every night, but also means you can budget well. A change of scenery every now and then is also something that I personally have found to be great. Do some work at the library, or your desk, then when you have a break, go outside or into your living room to watch TV.

Why did you decide to do this event for world mental health day? And why is raising awareness important to you guys?

Suzie: We did this event because it was something everyone could get involved with. It was for everyone, of every ability, to be active and have fun. Raising awareness was also a fundamental aspect of the event. There may be people at the uni with mental health issues who feel isolated, or as if they’re the only ones going through problems. In my own experience I’ve found that stress, anxiety and other issues affect more people than I would’ve ever imagined. By raising awareness it may lead to someone getting the help they need. One of the ways we as a society can help is to show that a good way to manage your stress levels is with sport.

James: World Mental Health Day is something that can be easily overlooked or ignored by students at uni. It’s likely that 1 in 4 people in your lecture will be suffering from a mental health problem. Sport is a great way to take a break from all the stresses of university life. This is a new initiative we are undertaking as a society, and throughout the year we will be attempting to make more events similar to this one!

Credit: History Society, Facebook
Credit: History Society, Facebook
More articles in Students and Mental Health
  1. Sport and Wellbeing: The Importance of Exercise for Combatting Stress, Part One
  2. Sport and Wellbeing: The Importance of Exercise for Combatting Stress, Part Two
  3. Impulsivity Can Be A Side Effect of Medication, But Is It A Good Thing?
  4. Mental Health: Ways to Get Help Over the Summer Holidays
  5. 92% of Students Report Feelings of Mental Distress
  6. Eating Disorders Awareness Week: Confession of an Anorexic
  7. Eating Disorders: Realisations and Recovery
  8. Is it Me?: The Realities of Depression
  9. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Hypochondria
  10. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Bipolar Disorder
  11. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Dermatillomania
  12. Anxiety, Depression and the Year Abroad: Part 2
  13. Anxiety, Depression and the Year Abroad: Part 1
  14. Getting It Straight: What You Didn’t Know About OCD
  15. Mental Illness, Katie Hopkins, and Me
  16. OCD: Washing Away the Stigma
  17. The Germanwings Co-Pilot and the Stigma of Mental Illness
  18. You Say Adventure, I Say Ordeal
  19. 8 Things You Shouldn’t Say to a Depressed Person
  20. Eating Disorders and the Media: What Are ‘Real’ Women?
  21. How To Help A Panic Attack
  22. How to Survive a Mid-Year Crisis
  23. The University of Southampton Needs To Do More for Mental Health
  24. 5 Ways to Get Involved With Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2016
  25. Winter Blues: It’s A Real Thing
  26. Elephant in The Corner: Social Anxiety
  27. Victory over Vehophobia: How to Overcome a Fear of Driving
  28. Let’s Talk About Homesickness
  29. Your Guide to Managing a Fresher’s State of Mind
  30. Study Finds Exam Pressure To Be The Cause of Mental Health Problems In Pupils
  31. University’s Research into Mental Health Treatment Goes Deeper

History student and new Features Editor for 2016/17. Consumer of chocolate, of tea and vodka, voyeur of Scandinavian crime dramas , and writer...or attempting to anyway.