Should You Dress Up As A Clown This Halloween?

0

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last week, you’ll have heard of the latest ‘Killer Clown’ craze sweeping the USA. This terrifying phenomenon has now reached the streets of the UK with sightings first springing up in Newcastle. Recently, these Clowns have now been spotted in Southampton. 

Amidst the terror caused by the craze, for some, it seems too bizarre to believe and some find the whole thing funny, in a dark, twisted sort of way. Dressing up as a clown for Halloween might seem like the perfect idea. It a costume people have chosen since the days of Stephen King’s ‘IT’ graced our screens. It’s easy to do, it fits with the theme and it’s current – everyone understands the reference.

However, class clowns of Southampton should think twice before dressing up to suit their personality this year.

At first, the consequences could be quite amusing. You turn up at a house party and get punched in the face because of someone’s fight or flight response kicked in. You take the mask off and apologise, they do too and everyone at the party congratulates you on such a convincing costume. But, then it starts to get quite terrifying. People start to stare and half run away from you as you walk down the street. If you end up on your own at any point during the night, people might consider that you’re the real thing. If you dress up as a clown yourself, even if its just a little bit of fun, people might misinterpret your actions and you could put yourself in serious danger. Even when your intentions are harmless.

On top of that, if large numbers decide to dress up as a clown this Halloween, the danger to everyone could increase. The ‘real’ clowns can easily blend into the crowd. No one would think to look twice at every passing clown they see. Drunk clubbers won’t know who to trust. Do you scream and run or laugh it off as a fun costume?

In addition to this, you could be at risk of breaking the law. The common law offence of breaching the peace is worth noting. By dressing as a clown, you are at risk of leading someone to fear or believe that they might be harmed.  It’s not all fun and games when the threat is very real.

Police have also made it clear that dressing up as a clown, especially when your only intention is for a ‘prank’, is a waste of emergency resources.

A spokesman told the Guardian:

Whether those involved are doing it for a joke or not, this is no laughing matter. These are stupid acts that are really frightening people and wasting our time. Please don’t be tempted to do it. Think of the consequences.”

So, this Halloween, think twice before dressing up as something that may be seen as genuinely terrifying. Because it might end up with a horrifying trick to your night.

Wessex Scene Editor 2016-17 and Features Editor 2015-2016. History Student, Blog writer (http://emeraldalice.blogspot.co.uk/) and traveller. Student Brand Ambassador for the i Paper 2015-2016. Tea lover, cat enthusiast.
@Alicetotheskies