Society Spotlight: Amnesty Soc

0

Amnesty Soc is the student led Southampton chapter of Amnesty International. They meet weekly to discuss human rights issues in Britain and around the world and organise fundraisers throughout the year. Last year their main focus was on raising money and awareness for the Calais Refugees. This campaign included a sponsored sleep out and a live music event, both of which were very successful.  They regularly discuss subjects such as the international arms trade, torture, abortion rights, LGBT and women’s rights topics and prisoners of conscience. Amnesty Soc are a regular presence at local demonstrations and marches. They also travel to the Amnesty International AGM in London every year and hold regular socials.

12291853_10153789182954185_6317687456567886200_o
This year’s sponsored sleep out in aid of the Calais refugees. Credit: Sophie Howard

I joined Amnesty Soc after participating in the sleepout for the Refugee Campaign and immediately felt welcomed into the group. I found the society to be a small friendly bunch who were passionate about social justice and human rights. I interviewed two of my fellow committee members to get their perspective on what goes on in AmnestySoc and what to expect upon joining the society.

12814370_1903202283239374_1703335627058706447_n
James, Secretary, Credit: Facebook

First of all…how would you explain what goes on at Amnesty Society for those who haven’t heard of the organisation?

Rosie: Amnesty is an international organisation that focuses on human rights violations across the world, they fight these violations through writing letters, raising money and often through protest marches. At Soton Amnesty we meet every week and every three weeks we organise an event (stall, film showing etc) to highlight and raise money for a chosen topic.

James: We have regular meetings where we discuss issues related to human rights such as: women’s rights, government totalitarianism and free speech. We tend to pick particularly topics, such as the death penalty, and work on that topic for a while. We decide what we want to do as a group before we do anything.

10400105_10205781344521415_3120658453019642420_n
Credit: Facebook

What should you expect when you come to an Amnesty meeting?

Rosie: We spend a lot of time being creative, making t-shirts, leaflets, banners and posters etc. Everyone is super friendly, so even if you come by yourself for your first time you are immediately put at ease! We focus mainly on brainstorming ways to broadcast our chosen topic to the student population so many of our sessions involve bouncing ideas of each other so everyone gets a voice.

James: Interesting and meaningful discussions. We normally have someone doing a presentation and then if we have time we debate the topic.                                                  

What kind of members are Amnesty looking to recruit this year?

Rosie: Everyone! I’m really excited to have a diverse group of student join this year, we want to recruit anyone who has a passion for fighting against human rights violation, enjoys volunteering and anyone who has a strong opinion on issues such as rape culture, torture or wants to raise money for refugees. Even someone who just wants to come along to see what we do at our Amnesty meetings is fully welcome!

James: People who have a keen interest in human rights campaigning. We also wouldn’t mind a few more artistically creative person to help with making placards.

What are the benefits of being an Amnesty member?

13962505_1068751303209099_4521577286669336001_n
Rosie, Vice President, Credit: Facebook

Rosie: Being part of Amnesty is very rewarding, you are often involved in helping breakdown harmful stereotypes and helping to raise money for charity is the best feeling; as you know that all the work you have put into raising awareness will make a different and help people.

James: Gaining a wider knowledge of human rights issues facing people around the world and knowing that you’re making a difference by doing activism and raising money. 

13147720_10154196647059185_9187116129443670986_o
This year’s ‘Jamnesty’ music fundraiser, Credit: Facebook

Is there a pattern in the type of subject Amnesty Members usually study?                                       

Rosie: I think most members are in the humanities but
we have lots from the sciences as well so there’s not a consistent pattern.

Where and when does Amnesty Soc meet?

Rosie: We will be holding our first social on the 5th of October to welcome any incoming freshers and our first official meeting on October 12th in 58/1039.

Does Amnesty Soc have much of a social side?

Rosie: Yes definitely, we had a few socials last year and will hopefully have more this year coming!

James: We do and we definitely hope to continue that this year. Nights out to Jesters and Sobar, pub crawls, scoops/sprinkles trips and anything else which would be a good time

Sum up an amnesty social in three words?

Rosie: Friendly, rewarding and creative.

James: Interesting, rewarding and activism.

More articles in Society Spotlight
  1. Society Spotlight: Conservative Association
  2. Society Spotlight: Labour Society
  3. Society Spotlight: HistSoc
  4. Society Spotlight: RAG
  5. Society Spotlight: Doctors of the World
  6. Society Spotlight: SUCC
  7. Society Spotlight: Polo
  8. Society Spotlight: Vixen Cheer
  9. Society Spotlight: SSAGO
  10. Society Spotlight: YogaSoc
  11. Society Spotlight: RecBad
  12. Society Spotlight: Amnesty Soc
  13. Society Spotlight: SUSUtv
  14. Society Spotlight: GerSoc
  15. Society Spotlight: Hillwalking
  16. Society Spotlight: LawSoc
  17. Society Spotlight: SuDofE
  18. Society Spotlight: Melodics
  19. Society Spotlight: Student Switch Off Society

Feminist, human rights activist and annoying leftie. I write about anything and everything that interests me.