Tinderella: Happily Ever After for Southampton Students?

0

Tinder, as many (or all) of you may have heard of, is an immensely popular dating app. But just how do University of Southampton students use this app? Are we giving ourselves false hope and expecting to find our happy ever after within a 2 mile radius, or are we just in it for ‘the bants’? The results of our online survey may surprise you…

Wessex Scene created and circulated an online survey, mostly through Facebook (another social networking site, but we don’t expect to find love there…) among the student population. The survey asked questions about Southampton students’ expectations of and experience with Tinder.

So, why did students originally download the app? Of all those surveyed, it appears that most students got Tinder to ‘see what all the fuss was about’, but how did the rest of the possible responses differ among males and females?

Looking strictly at the male population surveyed, the most popular reason for downloading Tinder was in fact ‘for a bit of fun/banter’. Well now, who doesn’t love a bit of banter? 34% of females surveyed also got the app for that reason so it seems that us hard-working students are just in need of a bit of harmless fun.

13% of our male respondents downloaded Tinder in search of one night stands, in contrast to only 1% of females. So, do males really lead not with their brain, but with something else? However, 6% of males and equally 6% of females were interested in finding a ‘friend with benefits’. A higher percentage of males than females answered that they downloaded the app looking to ‘make friends’ (A slightly suspicious response, can’t you just make friends through a society?!)

Almost half of the respondents did not know what they expected to come from using Tinder, but a fifth did expect to find a long-term partner. 27% said that Tinder did not meet their expectations and a variety of reasons were given for this, from students ending up in a relationship with one of their matches to others finding that nothing came of it. Some of our respondents who identified as homosexual found that there weren’t many other homosexual users on the app and several people found Tinder to be shallow and superficial.

Southampton students admit to using Tinder regularly, with 43% of respondents using it at least every other day. It therefore comes as no surprise that over half answered that they do indeed find the app addictive. When it comes to meeting with our matches, us Soton students are a pretty brave bunch – 66% of respondents have met with at least one match, with 20% having met with 5 or more!

But how does Tinder fare as a means of finding a serious relationship for us students? Given the application’s notorious ‘one time hookup’ reputation, our survey results were quite surprising. When asked what they would recommend Tinder for, bearing in mind the survey allowed the respondents to select multiple options, a considerable 61% of respondents selected ‘boosting your confidence’ and unsurprisingly 57% suggested ‘casual dating’. But a quarter of those surveyed recommended the app for finding serious relationships; and interestingly, 12% would not recommend it all.

Finally, the following statement was the survey’s last question that students had to respond to:

“I would recommend Tinder to a friend looking for a serious relationship”.

While the most popular answer (44%) was ‘probably not‘, on the more positive end of the scale, 11% opted for ‘definitely‘ and 26% selected ‘perhaps‘.

Maybe Tinder will help you find that happy ending after all then – how does, ‘Tinderella’, a new Disney Channel fairy tale sound?

Investigations Editor 2016/17. BA Spanish student, aspiring journalist and avid blogger (harriet-martin.com).