Society Spotlight: YogaSoc

0

Lots of health magazines and health professionals recommend an activity such as Yoga for those in a stressful environment. So I interviewed YogaSoc President Lucy McLean and Social Sec Miniver Mortimer to get a feel for YogaSoc and how they do things. 

First of all, what three words best describe YogaSoc?

Miniver: Friendly, relaxed and dynamic!

Why did you join?

Lucy: I joined to do something different and productive with my time and then found I enjoyed it a lot and so went every week!

Who can get involved – is it open to beginners?

Lucy: Anybody can get involved! We run complete beginners and more advanced classes. They run back to back in building 32 on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. We also run a yoga class at the NOC on a Wednesday for those who live closer to the city!

What sort of socials do you go on?

176_1380031801
Credit: Union Southampton

Miniver: We tend to do a lot of socials involving food – for both veggies and meat eaters! I hope to do more outgoing socials this year with the new addition of a social sec to our committee. So we may take it from just socials involving food to more things involving going to clubs, and for those less interested in partying but still wanting to have fun with the society, there may be some pub outings to get to know everyone.

Do the classes focus on different types of yoga?

Lucy: Each teacher interprets yoga in their own style, and some incorporate hatha and ashtanga together. [Hatha yoga includes posture, breathing exercises and meditation and Ashtanga can be seen as a gymnastic yoga of sorts.]

Who takes the yoga classes?

Lucy: We have four fantastic yoga teachers: Reuben, Wai, Fran and Lauren!

What sort of benefits could I see from going to some yoga classes?

176_1380031814
Credit: Union Southampton

Miniver: You will feel much more in control of yourself and your life, yoga has the amazing ability to calm down and centre the most stressed individuals. Aside from the positive mental effects that come from practising yoga, you also become much more balanced and flexible!

Where can people go for more info?

Miniver: They can go to our Facebook group Southampton University Yogasoc 2016/2017 where they can post any queries and will get quick replies from our committee members and teachers. Or if they don’t have facebook, they can always email the committee privately at suyogasoc@gmail.com to get information and for more general information people always have the option of visiting our page on the union’s website.

So there you go, get yourself signed up to YogaSoc if you think it’s your thing!

More articles in Society Spotlight
  1. Society Spotlight: Conservative Association
  2. Society Spotlight: Labour Society
  3. Society Spotlight: HistSoc
  4. Society Spotlight: RAG
  5. Society Spotlight: Doctors of the World
  6. Society Spotlight: SUCC
  7. Society Spotlight: Polo
  8. Society Spotlight: Vixen Cheer
  9. Society Spotlight: SSAGO
  10. Society Spotlight: YogaSoc
  11. Society Spotlight: RecBad
  12. Society Spotlight: Amnesty Soc
  13. Society Spotlight: SUSUtv
  14. Society Spotlight: GerSoc
  15. Society Spotlight: Hillwalking
  16. Society Spotlight: LawSoc
  17. Society Spotlight: SuDofE
  18. Society Spotlight: Melodics
  19. Society Spotlight: Student Switch Off Society

Law student at the University of Southampton.