Welcome to Winchester – Your New Home

0

Welcome to Winchester School of Arts. Now that you’ve had a week or so to settle down and get accustomed to living away from home, here are some of the best places to visit for when you feel like having a wander around your new home: Winchester.

Twinned with the city of Laon in northern France, Winchester may not be 90 minutes from Disneyland Paris, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have just as much fun here as you would have with Mickey Mouse and the rest of his crew.

Everyman Winchester

One of my favourite places to visit is the Everyman Cinema (formerly known as The Screen), located on Southgate Street. Once a barracks chapel, the building has now been turned into a very modern and charming cinema that houses 2 screens, holding nearly 400 people at capacity. Everyman shows the latest Hollywood film releases as well as independent and world cinema films. It also shows live broadcasts from the New York Met Opera and London’s National Theatre. Overall, this very atmospheric cinema is a great place to take that special person you’ve got your eye on.

Marwell Wildlife

Marwell Wildlife Centre is another great place to visit in the area. The 140-acre park is home to over 170 exotic and endangered species. The beautiful landscaped surroundings are a perfect spot for picnics. Just imagine eating several sandwiches and ice cream whilst looking at giraffes, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and meerkats. It’s almost like being in The Lion King. Marwell Wildlife’s website usually has some live webcam feeds of their animals too so you can watch pygmy hippos roam free without taking your pyjamas off.

Intech Science Centre & Planetarium

If you’re into science, space and aliens then you have to visit the Intech Science Centre and Planetarium. Located by a Natural Reserve in Morn Hill (3 miles away from the centre of Winchester), the Intech Centre is mainly used to provide knowledge and education for the young but the general public is welcome to visit. The planetarium has regular shows too, which include ‘We Are Aliens’, ‘Secret of the Cardboard Rocket’ and ‘Astronaut’ so you can learn some of the differences between Venus and Uranus. All in all, it’s only a short bus ride away, and you’ll be glad to have visited it.

many-visitors-in-winchester
Museums are all around Winchester. If you fancy visiting the The Royal Green Jackets Museum, The Gurkha Museum, The King’s Royal Hussars Museum or even The Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum, then you’re in luck because they’re all a short walk away from the city centre. There’s also the City Museum, which tells the story of Winchester from the Iron Age to the present.

Discovery Centre
The Discovery Centre and Library located on Jewry Street is often taken for granted by students, but with some of the best selection of books, DVDs and CDs around, it’s a place that you don’t want to miss. The space also hosts exhibits celebrating the best of Winchester’s arts and heritage scene.

For more information on each of these places please follow the direct links below.

Everyman Cinema
Marwell Wildlife
Intech Science Centre & Planetarium
Winchester Museums
Winchester Library & Discovery Centre