How to: Engage your readers using pull quotes

A pull quote (also known as a lift-out quote) is a quote placed outside of the main flow of the article and is a very useful feature to attract the reader’s attention to a particular point and keep them reading your article. An example of a pull quote is shown at the bottom:

To use pull quotes in your own articles is incredibly simple:

1. In the WordPress editor window, press the pull quote button (a red line and opening quotation mark: ).
  2. Fill out the details in the popup window:
    1. Alignment: pull quotes can either stick to the left or right hand side of the article area.
    2. Quote: the actual text content of the quote. If you selected some text from your article, then clicked on the pull quote button, then this will automatically be filled in.
    3. Source Name: if this is an actual quote of another source, then put the name of whoever said it here. This may not be appropriate, eg: if the quote is just a highlighted part of your own article, in which case, leave it blank.
    4. Source Role: If you mentioned a source name, you may also wish to mention that source’s role within an organisation or their title, eg: Vice Chancellor of Southampton University.
  3. Click Insert into Post. Voila!
    1. This will add some strange-looking code (called shortags) into your article: don’t worry, this is ok. I’m working on a way to make this look friendlier.
    2. If you want to modify anything, then the quote itself is inbetween the two shortags. If you understand this code, then by all means, go ahead.
    3. If not, then delete everything it added (from the first square bracket to the last) and start again. If you make a big mess, ask me (online manager, Sam Whitehall) and I’ll sort it for you 🙂
    4. You can always see what the pull quotes look like in context by clicking on Preview.