University Chaplain Saved

0

Reverend Yellow Stevens
Five months ago, students past and present were angered after Yellow Stevens, the University of Southampton Chaplain, was informed there would no longer be a position available for him. This was in addition to further severances of Chaplain posts in the area, leaving Yellow and those at the University who have benefitted from his support over their time in Southampton unsure for his and Chaplaincy’s future.

Since the initial announcement students have campaigned and fundraised tirelessly. The Diocese of Winchester has now confirmed the future of the Anglican Chaplaincy at Southampton University, with Reverend Yellow Stevens informing students and staff that he will be remaining in post until July 2011.

In the same announcement, Rev Stevens made it known that, during the academic year to come, the Diocese of Winchester will be investigating options for a part time Anglican chaplain with another responsibility locally. A “Chaplaincy Management Group” was alluded to, but with no clear indication of the role of students in said consultations.

The Free Church Chaplaincy council have also informed the University of Southampton Chaplaincy Association that they are actively seeking to fill the currently vacant half-time post of Free Church Chaplain, and hope to appoint somebody in time for the new academic year 2010–2011.

The University of Southampton Chaplaincy Association will continue to support the Chaplaincy, primarily through endeavouring to fund and employ a Chaplaincy Assistant to help support the community alongside the part time chaplains. This post is currently funded jointly by the Student Christian Movement, the Free Church Chaplaincy Council and the Diocese of Winchester, however recent financial circumstances have necessitated the withdrawal of this funding. Further, the Association will strive to advocate the full involvement and engagement of concerned students in every aspect of the Chaplaincy’s future.

Those at the University of Southampton Chaplaincy Association would like to thank all involved who helped make this outcome possible.