Change at the Interchange

1

The new shelter at the interchangeWork  will soon begin on developing the interchange at the highfield campus, with plans to develop the area and make it safer for pedestrians.

The much needed improvement of the area is due to an increased number of students and the public using the bus services, both uni-link and National Express Coaches, from under 1 million  to 4 million in four years, and the need to separate the buses from the people walking through the area.

The plan includes reversing the traffic and introducing a new bus entrance, as well as building a public cafe, a lit sheltered waiting area and toilet facilities in the area. Space would be created with the removal of the car park in the interchange area.

It is hoped that the development will encourage more people to use the buses, helping both the university and city reach its sustainable transport ambitions.

The work is planned to take place over the summer, with the completion scheduled for September 2010.

Not entirely sure why yet another cafe is needed, considering there’s already around 7 cafes on highfield campus… 100yds too far to walk it seems! Rumour has it that the focus groups requested a starbucks, but it will be a caffe nero instead…