SUSU Set for By-Election Following VP Academic Affairs Elect Resignation

6

Southampton University’s Students’ Union recently received the resignation of Chris Pidgley, the 2010-11 Vice President of Academic Affairs elect, after the candidate was advised not to take up the position in the wake of medical advice.

Pidgley was due to start his new role from the 1st July 2010 but has decided to stand down from both his current role as Schools Liaison Officer and from his Sabbatical role of Vice President Academic Affairs. This means SUSU will now have to run a by-election to fill the role left vacant by Pidgley.

Jonathan Davies is set to continue the work Pidgley has undertaken in the past year as Academic Representation Officer in the near future.

Nominations for the vacant role will have to be submitted by 3pm on Friday 11th June and voting will take place online from the 16th- 18th of June.

Pidgley who is well known throughout the Union for his hardwork and dedication received 3474 votes to rival contender Rob Stanning’s 2234 votes to secure a comfortable victory in the 2010 student elections but has had to pull out of the position for medical reasons.

Whilst further news on the resignation of Chris Pidgley will be brought to you soon the Wessexblog would like to wish Chris a full and speedy recovery.

If you are interested in running for the vacant position find out more at: http://elections.susu.org/academic

The Oxford Dictionary

by-election.

Chris Houghton

I actually went and checked this. Apparently either spelling is good, although by-election is more generally used.

sophie paterson

Correction -voting will take place online from the 16th-18th, not nominations

Chris Houghton

Thanks. Amended 🙂

This is a load of rubbish. Chris was caught stealing and received no real punishment from the university.

Chris Houghton

It’s up to the Students’ Union, and no other body, as to whether they press charges? After all Chris has contributed to the University, they felt it was best that he was asked to resign, instead of pressing charges. That is their choice.