Southampton University Reveals New Academic Leadership Team For The Future

1

This week the University of Southampton confirmed its new faculty leadership team. The team will oversee the running of eight new faculty departments which have been introduced as part of the University’s new academic structure in order to improve research and education for the strategic development of the University as a whole.

The new faculties launched on 1 August are: Engineering and the Enviroment, Physical and Applied Sciences, Natural and Enviromental Sciences, Social and Human Sciences, Humanities and Business and Law. Each of the new Deans will be responsible for delivering the research, teaching and enterprise activities across their faculty, as well as national and international engagement.

Five of the new Deans are already Professors at The University of Southampton, however, Professor Stephen Hawkins, the new Dean for Natural and Enviromental Sciences will be transferring from the University of Bagnor and Professor Judith Petts, formerly Pro-Vice Chancellor at the University of Birmingham will be running the Social and Human Sciences faculty. A Dean for the Faculty of Business and Law is yet to be appointed.

Professor Don Nutbeam, Vice Chancellor of the University of Southampton, said: “I believe that we have appointed an outstanding leadership team to take forward our ambitious new strategy, which seeks to build on the world-leading research and top-rated education that we already have in Southampton.”

“However, at a time when public funding for teaching and research is being cut that means an even greater focus on research quality. It also means transforming the structure, quality and flexibility of our educational programmes, so that by 2012 we are offering students a much greater choice of learning options.”