Surge DJ on National Radio

0

A Southampton student DJ said it had been “more than a dream” after he co-hosted a slot on BBC Radio 1Xtra live from Highfield campus on Thursday evening.

David Gilani, who normally fills the airwaves on Southampton University’s Surge radio, spent 15 minutes broadcasting with MistaJam as the Urban music DJ played his show from the Bridge Bar to a packed audience.

A huge BBC trailer parked outside the Students’ Union had caught the attention of passers-by and many more arrived at the bar after listening to 1Xtra from their computers at home. The crowd were not disappointed and responded enthusiastically to MistaJam and David’s set.

“I wasn’t too nervous actually” said David afterwards. “When you’re playing music you love you just relax and enjoy it. The energy of everyone boosted me, it’s just a shame it was over so soon!”

MistaJam told the Wessex Scene he was very impressed with his co-host’s confident performance: “I’ve been touring the country’s student radio stations this week and I’ve got to say that David has been the most assured of the lot. I think Pete Tong better watch his back!”

When pressed for a piece of advice to give to any budding DJs, MistaJam emphasised the importance of dedication and practice: “Learn your craft. If you want to be a plumber you must study and get the qualifications; if you want to be a DJ you need experience doing every gig you can get.”

David was noticed by the BBC after he sent an entry to the Student Radio Awards. Though he didn’t win, 1Xtra were impressed enough to invite him on to the show as part of their tour of UK universities. Surge Radio itself was one of only four stations to be visited by MistaJam’s show.

“This has been a fantastic opportunity” said Surge’s Station Manager, Joe McLoughlin. “To be approached by the BBC is incredible and we’re really proud that David was picked.”

David can be heard on Surge presenting ‘The 3D show’ on Tuesday nights from 9pm, playing classic club anthems, house and trance music.

Mike is the Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2011/2012 after fulfilling the role of Features Editor in 2010/2011. Apart from taking charge of the ever-expanding Scene, Mike enjoys writing for a broad range of the sections, though his heart truly lies in reporting and Features.