University Responds to Comprehensive Spending Review

0

The University of Southampton has responded to the Government’s Comprehenisve Spending Review in a statement which welcomes the protection offered to research budgets and sciences. However, the statement goes on to note that they expect teaching subsidies to be removed entirely except for priority subjects. This would cost the University £30 million per annum.

The statement also mentions that the Spending Review seems to indicate that the Government have ‘largely accepted’ the ideas in the Browne Report. The University notes the effect increased fees would have on widened participation in higher education, committing to negotiating with staff and students about ways to deal with these changes. Some of the methods listed include making ‘accelerated learning’ avaliable (for those that wish to complete their degree in under three years) and allowing students to mix full and part-time study.

The statement welcomes the creation of a National Scholarship Fund for poorer students, part of the plans announced yesterday. They also note that if the Browne Review were to be accepted, fees would only be paid by graduates earning over £21,000 per annum. If fees were to hit the predicted £12,000 per year however, this could still result in the cost of an undergraduate degree being paid through a graduate’s entire working life.

The statement also notes that the University has taken measures to reduce costs and increase income over recent years, in anticipation of the spending cuts. This presumably does not include the removal of sports degrees and halls wardens last academic year, which the university emphasised at the time were ‘not financial decisions’.

The University also promise to ‘continue to strive to provide a world-class education to our students, to undertake research that will benefit the UK’s economy and to improve our position as an internationally-recognised institution.’

To read the full statement click here.