Mubarak Leaves Office

0

After nearly three weeks of anti-government protests, President Hosni Mubarak has finally resigned from public office.

In a statement made by the Vice President Omar-Suleiman, it was announced that power had been handed to the armed forces:

“In the name of God the merciful, the compassionate, citizens, during these very difficult circumstances Egypt is going through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down from the office of president of the republic and has charged the high council of the armed forces to administer the affairs of the country,”

The streets of Cairo have been filled with scenes of jubilation as a result of the resignation. Today protestors in their millions besiged both the state television and governmental palaces in Cairo, after huge amounts of disappointment when Hosni Mubarak just last night announced he wouldn’t be stepping down.

There will be statements from the Armed forces and President Barack Obama this evening. While it remains to be seen how the structure of power in Egypt will change, this is a question for tomrorow. For today, the protestors have shown that people power is still a very relevant and powerful force for change.

On the Wessex Scene, watch out for upcoming articles on the background of the protests.

Photo: BBC News Middle East