Lib Dem Losses In Local Elections

3

All 16 seats in Southampton’s Local Council elections went to either Labour or Conservative candidates, as the Liberal Democrats suffered nationwide humiliation in local elections.

Nick Clegg’s party lost control of Hull, Bristol and Stockport, and were replaced by Labour as the largest party in Clegg’s home constituency of Sheffield.

In Southampton, all but one of the contested seats were two horse races between Labour and the Conservatives, as the Liberal Democrat’s support in the city disappeared.

The Labour Party gained four seats, while the Lib Dems lost the two they were defending. The result leaves the Conservatives in control of the council, but their majority falls to just four.

The Lib Dems came closest in Portswood, thanks perhaps to lingering student support for the maligned party, but lost out to Conservative Matthew Claisse. Southampton student Olivia Vaughan, running for Labour fared reasonably well, with over 1100 votes, an improvement on Labour’s usual vote share in the ward.

The Swaythling seat was won by Spiros Vasilliou of the Conservatives, with Southampton student Dan Jeffery coming second, in one of the lowest turnouts in the city. Basset also went to the Conservatives, while Labour stormed to victory in Bevois.

Overall, of the 16 seats contested, a resurgent Labour party took 10 seats, while the Conservatives won six. In one of the biggest upsets, the city’s Conservative chief of planning, Matthew Dean fell to Satvir Kaur of Labour in Shirley. Ricky Lambert, an independent candidate, failed to capitalise on his namesakes success for Southampton FC, coming last in the Redbridge ward.

The result leaves the Conservatives with 26 councillors, Labour with 19 and the Lib Dems with just three.

The results of the AV referendum are expected at around 20:00 this evening, with polls and analysts predicting a victory for the No campaign.

The full local council results are available here.

Pete, the link to the full council results actually points to the 2010 results. The 2011 ones are here: http://www.southampton.gov.uk/Images/Declaration%20of%20results%202011_tcm46-293452.pdf

Other than that, a really interesting article. Also interesting to note that in Southampton, the Yes vote in the referendum was at 36.7%, up on the national average of around 31%.

Pete

Ooops, cheers moggy.

Should point out I had both years open for comparison, and just linked the wrong one, I haven’t written an article about last year’s election!

AV vote is interesting. Says something about student preferences?