EnviroRAG Week Smashes Fund Raising Target

0

This last week has seen students from Southampton University engaging in fund raising and environmental volunteering both on campus and in the local community. In the run up to the week the organisers set a fund raising target of £2500, which would be accomplished if each of Southampton’s 25,000ish students donated or raised 10p during the week.

At Friday’s EnviroRAG Awards Night it was announced that the total amount of money raised during the last week far exceeded this target, reaching £3948.

The night also featured performances from some talented student musicians and the handing out of trophies to individuals and groups who had contributed significantly to the week.

Highfield Halls JCR received an award for their fund raising efforts in West Quay shopping centre on Monday 2nd May. The group organised a ‘flash mob’ style dance routine and musical performances, contributing £498.71 to the £1329.78 raised for Macmillan Cancer Support on the day. The Highfield Halls JCR RAG representative, Caroline Hughes, also received the ‘RAG Volunteer of the Week’ award for her work recruiting and coordinating a team of 40-odd fund raisers.

The award for Best Society went to the Environmental Science Student’s Society who raised an impressive £132.02 with a raffle and face painting at a festival of campus-based fund raising on Tuesday. Their contribution was over double that raised by any other club or society on the day, with the overall total of the day reaching £938.36.

Recognition was also given to the students who will be throwing themselves out of an airplane in a sponsored skydive organised by the SUSU Skydiving Club. Aimee Roberts received an award as the skydiver to raise the most money. The Sponsored Skydive raised a total of £1379 with ten students taking part. Aimee raised £395, with the second highest amount being £176, raised by Lydia Longman.

Awards were also given to recognise those volunteers who have contributed significantly to ethical and environmental campaigns and events throughout the year. The team behind the Environmental Rock festival, held at the Hobbit on Monday, received an award for their work, whilst ethical volunteer Aliceja Fisher received the ‘Ethical Volunteer’ Award for her work on a range of issues throughout the year.

With this week the final week in position for the RAG committee of 2010/11, they have well and truly finished on a high, after winning an Excellence in Volunteering Award for collaboration and exceeding all expectations in their biggest fund raising week of the year.