Blue Sky for Bunfight Bonanza

0

Long queues in the baking sun and a “ridiculously hot” sports hall failed to spoil a hugely successful Bunfight on Highfield campus today.

Over 170 societies and 80 sports clubs – not to mention the thousands of patient students – attended the event, filling every available space on the concourse with multi-coloured stands and eye-catching gimmicks.

Thousands of committed freshers braved the intense heat as they shuffled through the crowds to get a glimpse of the opportunities available to them in the next three years.

The Wessex Scene had a stall of its own so couldn’t resist the temptation to find out what the freshers, the society representatives, and the external organisations thought of the event.

Fellow media enthusiasts furthered the excitement with live broadcasts outside the Union.

Jamie Chadd of SUSUtv, said: “It’s really busy this year and it’s fantastic being out in the sun!”

The Circus Society and the Magic Society stood side by side entertaining passers-by with impressive tricks and stunts.

I’m loving the bunfight!

Dan Meakon
Circus Society

Another purpose of the Bunfight is to raise awareness of the services that the Union offers students during their time at the university. Of all of the organisations at the event, Nightline stood out with its loveable bear mascot providing free hugs to the masses. Two of Nightline’s invaluable volunteers spoke to the Wessex Scene about what they do.

“We give advice about many situations,” they said. “You can call if you’re feeling lonely. Likewise, if you get lost in town and need a taxi number, we’re here. It’s completely confidential.”

A representative of the Spanish Society expressed some concern at the position of the society’s stall in the Bunfight.

“We are separated from the rest of the languages, so people might not be able to find us.”

However, you would struggle to miss them with their colourful attire and oversized sombreros! Their efforts had not gone amiss as the society’s representative added that the number of people signing up increased from last year.

For those freshers who wanted an adventure at new heights, the Southampton University Squadron were on hand to recruit new members.

“We recruit in Southampton, Solent, Portsmouth and Bournemouth,” said a member of the squadron. “It’s about making friends with people and taking part in outdoor activities and training. Anyone can join.”

Entry into the squadron is highly competitive and only approximately 30 out of 100 applications are successful.

Those who seek a guaranteed flight experience need look no further than the Skydive Society.

When asked about their role on the day, the members said: “We’re signing up freshers to jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane for no good reason.”

The day was seemingly a great success. Societies were unrelenting in their mission to attract the freshers. The Wessex Films stand was even keen to reel in the Wessex Scene news team.

Nightline can be called from 8pm to 8am any term-time night on 02380 595236.