Stephen Fry and Ian McKellen save the Hobbit

1

Following on from yesterday’s post on the Wessex Scene which revealed that the Hobbit was saved from being closed, Stephen Fry and Ian McKellen have offered to the pay the license fee which is being imposed on the pub by the Saul Zentez company.

Earlier today, the Save the Hobbit Facebook page published a status update saying: “I have just received a telephone call from Stephen Fry’s business partner. Stephen Fry and Ian McKellen will be visiting the Hobbit Pub sometime after filming is completed and they have even offered to pay for the license fee.”

This news is the climax of the series in the fight between The Hobbit Pub and the company which controls the rights to the Hobbit franchise and threatened the pub with copyright infringement.

Yesterday, it was revealed that that the Saul Zentez Company would accept $100, or roughly £64 per year for the popular pub to keep its name and avoid an expensive legal battle.

The battle was brought to national attention after Stephen Fry and other members of the Hobbit cast started tweeting in support of the pub, culminating in papers across the country featuring the pub.

I’m sure Stephen Fry cares as much about The Hobbit as he does about the working conditions of the Chinese labourers that gruellingly make the Apple products he shamelessly endorses.