University 25th Highest for Violent Crime

1

Some estimates suggest a third of University students are victims of some sort of crime. (Picture: Hugovk on Flickr/cc)

Figures released today, which only cover England and Wales, have shown that police deal with more crime in the area surrounding the University of Southampton than nearly two thirds of other UK Universities, statistically meaning that Southampton Solent University is in a safer area.

While not unexpected, London Universities fared worst, earning 18 of the top spaces, which were calculated using data published by the Home Office, and displayed on the Complete University Guide website. The highest recorded crime rate was London Metropolitan University, with 3.98 crimes recorded per 1000 people in the population.

Outside of London, the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University, which are effectively next door to one another, both showed very high crime rates, at 2.61 and 2.64 respectively, closely followed by their neighbour Salford at 2.60, then Birmingham and Birmingham city, with  2.44 and 2.57 respectively.

Statistically the safest University was Buckingham with 0.8 crimes per 1000 residents, followed by Aberystwyth and Durham, with 0.84 and 0.88.

Around Hampshire, Winchester scored very well, with less than half Southampton’s score, with 1.23, while Portsmouth appears worse than either of Southampton’s universities with a score of  2.26.

The figures also specify the number of burglaries, robberies and violent crimes in each area, showing that students are statistically most likely to be burgled at either Leeds University (Leeds 1.41, Leeds Metropolitan 1.29), followed by Brunel (1.27) and other London Universities.

The robbery data feature all 20 London Universities (0.73 – 0.25) out of the highest 21, with only Birmingham city (0.39) breaking their streak, and closely followed by Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan Universities (both 0.24).

Violent crime was seen most near London Universities, with a surprise break for Glyndŵr (1.63), in Wrexham in North Wales, while the North Wales region’s other University, in Bangor, ended up almost two thirds of the way down the table. Portsmouth also featured a high level of violent crime (1.56), which includes all categories of assault and sexual offences.

Where Southampton Stands, all quoted out of 104 Universities in England and Wales

• Overall: 37th highest
  • Burglaries: 53rd highest
  • Robberies: 52nd highest
  • Violent Crime: 25th highest

The data is taken over a 12 month period from home office data for the area three miles around a University’s main teaching campus, meaning cities with multiple universities can potentially overlap (Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan are literally next door to each other).

In the US, Universities are required to publish the number of incidents involving their students to prospective students and their parents. Typically, this includes in depth details on categories of crime and whether they were on campus, in residential facilities, off campus or in public places (page 30 of this document from MIT shows a good example).

Will this have a negative effect on future application levels? Is there something that the University or the police are failing at? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Pretty interesting sttcisaits. I would have thought that the average age would be much lower. Somewhere around because of a large number of teens playing video games. Still a good sign that the average level is somewhere in between. Makes it a more open market.