The Results Are In!

2

RAG invited all of you to choose the charities they will be fundraising for this year, but did your choices make the cut? Read on to find out…

After hundreds of votes the results are in, and the three charities SUSU RAG will be raising money for are…

–          Local; Southampton Samaritans

Samaritans is a charity that helps anyone feeling anything from distressed to depressed 24/7 through phone calls, emails, texts or meetings. The Southampton branch not only provides support to Southampton University students but also accepts students to volunteer for them, allowing students to gain invaluable experience in this rewarding work.

RAG is delighted to be raising money for a charity that is so inter-connected with the university, and hopes that the relationship between Southampton Samaritans and Southampton University will continue to grow over the coming year.

(http://www.southamptonsamaritans.org.uk/)

–          National; Marrow

Marrow is the student group of Anthony Nolan, the charity dedicated to encouraging people to sign up to the stem cell donor register as well as funding research into improving the donation procedure itself.  The student group at Southampton already runs regular sign-up clinics throughout the year and its fundraisers, but as the charity relies on donations it can always use more funding for its important work.

RAG intends to work closely with the current student group to continue helping the charity to increase its presence on campus, raise more money for the cause and try to extend its reach further afield.

(http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-you-can-do/Supporter-groups/Marrow.aspx)

–          International; Wateraid

Water Aid is dedicated to bringing clean water and sanitation to people across the globe, where one in eight do not have access to safe drinking water. This charity works to ensure that everyone has access to a fundamental human right, that of safe drinking water and sanitation. A group has just been set up within the union and RAG hopes to be an important instrument in helping this society have a large impact on campus, and begin to raise a lot of money for this vital charity.

(http://www.wateraid.org/uk/)

RAG has a lot of exciting things already planned for the year ahead; the launch of Your RAG Challenge, new and unique events, mega-raids with other RAGs and trips around the country (and maybe even abroad!) to name but a few. All the money we raise through these, (unless specifically stated otherwise) will go towards these charities, so it’s important that we get as much support as possible to ensure we can give them the most funding possible.

If you’d like further information about RAG’s exciting plans for next year then join Your RAG Team on Facebook, which will be continually updated with events, volunteering opportunities and information about what we’ve achieved thus far. There is also information about the Team Leader positions available at RAG, which are open to any student at the university and have an exciting range of volunteering opportunities based upon the areas you’re interested in such as event planning, publicity and liaison positions.

RAG is continuing to expand its presence and achievements at the university, and with our constant efforts to keep improving now is an exciting time to become involved in such a rewarding and valuable society. Do not hesitate to contact RAG with any queries or for any advice about fundraising in the future.

Your RAG Team: http://www.facebook.com/groups/437795119586679/

So excited that Southampton Samaritans are being supported, although they don’t just provide emotional support to people who are distressed and despairing but they also support people who are feeling suicidal (or who are even in the process of ending their lives.)

Caroline Hughes

Apologies – I’ll be sure to include that in future references to Samaritans.

We’re excited to be supporting such a worthwhile cause too, hope to see you in the future at our events etc for them!

Caroline