Alternative ways to follow London 2012

0

If you, like me, are rapidly turning into a London 2012 fiend and would like to make the most of social media and all the resources available, here’s a collection of some alternative ways to keep up-to-date and permanently excited about the Games.

Women’s Sport

If you have been captivated and enthused by the achievements of female athletes over the past week then head to www.sportsister.com for exclusive articles and updates about the extraordinary female athletes competing at London 2012. You can also follow sportsister on facebook www.facebook.com/Sportsister and on Twitter @Sportsister you’ll never miss a result.

Lizzie Armitstead started TeamGB’s medal campaign and there was success for TeamGB women’s football against Brazil, there have been Bronze medals for Becky Adlington, a silver for Gemma Gibbons, Zara Phillips, Nicola Wilson, Mary King and Kristina Cook in the Eventing and GOLD for Helen Glover and Heather Stanning and Kath Grainger and Anna Watkins, girls are leading the way. Now’s the time to get excited about women in sport!

Lizzie Armitstead led the way for TeamGB gaining our first medal, silver in the Road Race.

Specific Sports

If you are interested in specific sports then the best way to follow these results is to follow these on Twitter for example @britishrowing, @gbhockey2012 or @britishswimming. It’s worth searching for your sport because results are posted with extra specific information. Or follow @uk_sport for UK sporting successes. Or for results from all countries you can follow @L2012[insert sport here]e.g. @L2012Archery.

Your Favourite Athletes

Why not follow your favourite athletes on Twitter, you can also send them your own messages of support or just revel in their success, for example @chrishoy, @KeriannePayne or @DaiGreene. It’ll make you feel a little bit closer to their Olympic campaigns. It’s definitely worth following @TeamGB which posts constantly and gives the warm fuzzy feeling of GB pride when it’s needed most.

The London 2012 Mascots

The Mascots Wenlock and Mandeville have their own Twitter accounts! If you are fond of our interesting-looking mascots and want to know their whereabouts and what they’ve been up to follow @iamwenlock and/or @iammandeville.

Mascots Wenlock and Mandeville at the Olympic stadium

London 2012 Apps

There are a lot of apps available for smartphones, if you’re on the ball you’ve probably already got one but check out www.london2012.com/mobileapps/index.html for information about an app which might suit you. Perfect for those of you who want to follow the games whilst on the move.

All the Info you need

Head to www.london2012.com for medal tables, today’s events and more, you can also follow @London2012 on Twitter and if you are looking for travel updates and advice for spectators follow @L2012Spectators. Also London 2012 has a YouTube channel for those of you who’d like to watch features from the Games and from the London 2012 festival www.youtube.com/user/london2012/videos.

London 2012 Festival

If you’re interested in the arts, music and theatre of the London 2012 Festival then make sure you keep up-to-date by following www.festival.london2012.com and/or follow @London2012Fest.

Action shots from different viewpoints

London 2012 organisers have put some cameras in some fantastic places, check them out for a different perspective of the games. Follow @L2012PoolCam, @L2012BballCam, @L2012StadiumCam, @L2012GymCam.

Image courtesy of @L2012BballCam

Empty Seats

This is one to watch if you are annoyed about the fact that there are so many empty seats at the Olympics despite the fact that many people missed out on getting any seats at all for the games. Follow @Olympicseat for pictures and comments about these seats.

Empty Seats can be seen by following @Olympicseat

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)