Double assault in post football match crowd

1

In the aftermath of yesterday’s, (Sunday 2nd September) match between Southampton Saints and Manchester United two men were assaulted leading the police to bring an appeal for witnesses.

In the midst of the post-football game crowd, between 5.30 and 6pm, yesterday evening two Southampton men aged 26 and 20 were attacked by a group of white men as they walked near the junction of St. Mary’s Road and Dorset Street. One of the attackers brought a white Staffordshire bull terrier to the scene which bit the victims making this attack especially vicious. Traffic stopped during the attack as one victim lay unconscious in the road.

The double assault took place at the junction of St. Mary’s Road and Dorset Street

The group of attackers ran off down St. Mary’s Road and into Clovelly Road.

Both victims received treatment at Southampton General Hospital, both were treated for dog bites but the younger man had several broken ribs and scratches whilst the elder of the two victims suffered from a dislocated shoulder.

Three men have been arrested over night, all of them are from Southampton. At this point in time two of the men aged 18 and 20, remain in custody. The third man is 23 and was arrested on suspicion of inflicting actual bodily harm and affray he was bailed, pending further inquiries, until October 24th.

Although a number of witnesses have spoken to the police and assisted in their investigation, officers believe that there are others who saw the incident but have not yet come forward.

If you, or any one you know, live around this area and saw anything that might assist the police then you are encouraged to contact Acting Sergeant Paul Salley at Southampton Central Police Station on 101 or call the Crimestoppers charity line anonymously on 0800 555 111.

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)