Student Satisfaction rises at University of Southampton

0

The latest National Student Survey (NSS), released today, shows that the University of Southampton has improved across the board.

The results clearly state an improvement in student satisfaction in all 22 categories  included in the survey, with the consequent ranking of the University rising in the Student Survey tables. Out of the 147 Universities that take part in the scheme, Southampton is now placed 37th – a sharp rise from 55th in the previous National Student Survey.

Within the 24 institutions recognised as Russell Group Universities, Southampton is now ranked 9th for student satisfaction; another rise from the University’s previous 2012 position at 17th.

Of particular note, four subject areas received 100 per cent student satisfaction ratings. These were: Geology, French, German, and Ship Science.

Within Assessment and Feedback, an 8 per cent rise has occurred, with eight subjects showing substantial improvement, with increases of more than 20 percent.

In response to the results, The University’s Pro Vice-Chancellor of Education, Professor Debra Humphris, expressed her pleasure that cooperation between the Students’ Union and staff is paying off:

My colleagues across the University have been working extremely hard with our Students’ Union to engage with and listen to feedback from our students. We have actively responded where this will benefit their experience… We’re delighted that this is being recognised through our improved position in the National Student Survey and we look forward to continuing to work with our students to give them an excellent experience at Southampton.

All final year students at participating Universities are asked to fill in the survey, though it is still voluntary to complete it. There are 22 questions in the survey, which cover teaching, Assessment and Feedback, Academic Support, Organisation and Management, Learning Resources, Personal development, and finally a question on the Overall Satisfaction of the student on the quality of the course.

The news comes as the University of Southampton in 2012 celebrates its 60th year of awarding degrees.