Police Appeal for Witnesses as Two Police officers are Assaulted

0

Operation Fortress is appealing for witnesses that may have seen a female police officer dragged across a road; and another officer also assaulted, on St Mary Street at 1.40pm yesterday.

The two officers were assaulted when carrying out a stop check on a group of people in an alleyway, opposite the Church. An additional man approached the officers and a struggle ensued. When trying to detain the attacker, the female constable was pushed to the floor and dragged across the street, causing her cuts and bruises. The male detective constable also suffered cuts and bruises, which did not require treatment.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of possession of class A drugs – with intent to supply and assault – and with intent to resist arrest. The 31 year old from Southampton remains in custody.

Detective Sergeant Jan Bulfield from the Operation Fortress team said:  “Both these officers were assaulted while carrying out their duties in Southampton. Thankfully; they have not been seriously injured, but have been shaken up nonetheless.

“I would like to hear from anyone in confidence who witnessed this incident; or who may have seen the struggle on St Mary Street around lunchtime.

“In particular, I’m interested in hearing from several people who were in the area at the time: a white girl in her twenties wearing headphones; an Asian man with headwear standing nearby; a number of people who stopped in cars, one who asked what was going on; a large group standing outside the college; a white man in a Southampton football shirt.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Operation Fortress team on 101 or the anonymous Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.