Police Appeal after Attempted Robbery at Portswood Cashpoint

0

Lloyds TSB in Portswood

Police are appealing for witnesses to an attempted robbery of a woman at a Portswood cashpoint. 

The attempted robbery occurred just before 10pm Saturday, November 3. A 48-year-old blonde woman approached the Lloyds-TSB cashpoint at the corner of Portswood Road and Highfield Lane.

The cashpoint is at the end of the Portswood High Street with Sainsburys and The Mitre Pub on the same crossroads as the bank.

On approaching the cashpoint the lady noticed a young man by the railings about 10 yards from the machine.

The man is described as white, about 20, slim and 5 ft 7-8ins tall.

He wore a light coloured hooded top and light-coloured  three-quarter length trousers.

While she was withdrawing money, she was grabbed from behind by the arms, at which point the attacker attempted to turn her around. She resisted and shouted at the man, who walked away. She recognised the attacker as the man she’d seen by the railings just moments before.

The man then returned to her, pinning her against the wall before running away along Highfield Lane towards the Avenue. Nothing was taken, and the woman suffered only bruising to her arms.

Police are appealing for witnesses to the crime. Detective Constable Steven Lanham said:

At that time on a Saturday night, there would have been many people nearby in pubs and fast food outlets. Some of them may have seen the failed robbery and assumed it was a couple having an argument.

The man would have looked unusual in the cropped trousers, given the time of year and the poor weather.’

Anyone with any information on this should call Dt Con Steven Lanham at Bitterne on 101, or call Crimestopppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.