University of Southampton Wins Highly Commended Award at Green Gown Awards Ceremony

0

The University of Southampton has won a Highly Commended award at the Green Gown Awards Ceremony 2012.

The event took place on Monday, November 5, at the University of Birmingham, and was hosted by broadcaster and writer Simon Fanshawe. The awards ceremony has been taking place for eight years, with the University being winners several times previously.

The University of Southampton were awarded the accolade in the ‘Student Initiatives and Campaigns’ category for their work with the Blackout campaign, which saw Highfield Campus plunged into darkness as students turned off all equipment that was left on unnecessarily over the weekend of 28-29th April 2012.The results were encouraging,  saving more than £1,600 (or £84,000 over the course of a year) and the initiative has been so successful this year it will be rolled out as a national campaign amongst several universities and higher education institutions.

Joshua Davies, current EcoCampus Officer, and Environment and Ethics Officer 2011-12, said:

We’re over the moon that the project and the hard work of all the students and staff were recognised. We can’t wait to make Blackout bigger and better next year!

The London School of Economics and Political Science were also given a Highly Commended award in the same category. Winners also included the University of Cumbria for ‘Carbon Reduction’, De Montfort University for ‘Green ICT’ and ‘Social Responsibility’, and the University of Leeds for ‘Promoting Reponisble Behaviour’. Manchester Metropolitan University and De Montfort University also won awards in the Green Gown International Awards, alongside the University of Technology, in Sydney, Australia. The International Awards were introduced this year.

In response to the award given to the University of Southampton, the Green Gown Awards website states:

The judges decided not to allocate a Winner for the Student Initiatives and Campaigns category. Though the finalists’ projects were all valuable, successful and replicable for the sector, the judges felt that the student led element of the projects was not evidenced sufficiently to meet the strict category criteria. However, two Highly Commended awards were given.

More information on the Blackout project can be found HERE

Click HERE. for the Green Gown Awards Website