SUSURF Win Varsity Competition

0

Our SUSURF team headed to Cornwall to take on rivals Portsmouth last weekend and emerged victorious from the waves.

This year’s Varsity Surf competition was held on the weekend of February 2, and 3, in Widemouth Bay, near Bude in Cornwall with 62 competitors across Southampton and Portsmouth turning up to take part.

All competitors stayed in the same house over the weekend which Southampton surfer Sion Roberts describes as ‘so much fun.’

Group Photo of SUSURF
Group Photo of SUSURF and Pompey

Sion tells us that ‘the surf was looking stormy for the weekend so the decision was made to run the entire competition on the Saturday.’ This was despite ‘far from perfect conditions.’ However ‘there was some excellent surfing on show from all competitors.’

The competition itself is judged by participating surfers on the beach, in a peer review.

Southampton eventually emerged victorious, ‘bringing the Varsity Trophy Board back to its rightful home.’

Sion says that ‘a fantastic weekend was had by all (including a rather messy night in the hostel on saturday night) and we are already looking forward to renewing the rivalry next year!’

The Results:

Men
1. Matt Rivers (Southampton)
2. Alex Pester (Portsmouth)
3. Sion Roberts (Southampton)

Women
1. Amy Bokota (Southampton)
2. Kate Paddock (Southampton)
3. Steph Cowley (Portsmouth)

The Prize for the Best Wipeout went to David Jordan (Southampton) – for headbutting a rock.

The Keenest Surfer Prize went to Peter Grant (Southampton)

Winners Amy Bokota and Matt Rivers with the Varsity Board Trophy

The Varsity event between Southampton and Portsmouth will be hosted by Portsmouth for the first time in the history of the competition, on March, 17 during our Easter break. The day’s competition will be held at at HMS Temeraire and Burnaby Road sports facilities right outside Portsmouth University’s Students’ Union. Find out more here.

Let us know what you think in the comments below, but in the meantime on behalf of the Wessex Scene, a huge Congratulations to SUSURF for kickstarting this year’s Varsity competition with their success. 

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)