Southampton Sharks vs Bristol Storm at the Jubilee

0

SUBC Men's First Team list for the game
SUBC Men’s First Team list for the game

The University of Southampton Basketball Club (SUBC) Men’s 1st Team are competing today at the Jubilee Sports Centre at 2:15 and it should prove to be a tough game! This conquest has been their first season playing in the National League and is a massive step-up from performing in the BUCS competitions.

The team have been participating in the National League Division 4 this season, with today being their penultimate game of the season, this game in particular will mean so much more to the team who were defeated by todays rivals in a previous game.

This game means so much as we had a bitter defeat to them [Bristol Storm] at their home turf with controversial refereeing and an under strength team. It has got to the stage where we know we won’t win the league and this game is more for a decent finish and personal pride.

Alex Khawam
SUBC Men's First Team

It is difficult to know what to expect when being introduced to new circumstances and situations, however the Southampton Sharks bravely put in all they had, finishing — if they are victorious today. While they accept that they haven’t won as many games as they had wanted, the team are keeping heads held high, recognising the way that they have adjusted to the new league and the massive learning curve they have experienced which they aim to build upon next season (hopefully enabling them with a chance to compete for the title next season).

The Southampton Sharks had an unlucky defeat in their last game away against Plymouth, which they are looking to bounce back from and regain some confidence, hopefully putting them in good stead for the remaining BUCS and National League fixtures. The moral of playing a home game is almost overwhelming and provides an ambiguous amount of support to the players, who feel the backing of the students provide them with the will to step up, as they have felt in previous games. The team will also be better conditioned as they wont have to travel (with their members driving the minibus) to a university several hours away.

It’s going to be a tough game, they have some good players but we have good home support and a full strength team, so hopefully we can do the business and get 3 points.

Alex Khawam
SUBC Men's First Team

The Vixen cheerleaders, fresh-faced and moralled after their recent success at the ICC Southerns 2013 competition, will be performing at the half time interval. Make sure you make your way down early and cheer on the team!

Don’t forget to tune in to Surge Radio at 6-7 tonight in order to join the Wessex Scene and our special guests: The Southampton University Basketball Club!