Varsity 2013: All You Need to Know

0

varsityThere’s not long now until the biggest sporting event of the year kicks off. Varsity 2013, this year hosted by Portsmouth, will pit each University’s finest athletes against each other in what surely looks to be a gripping event.

Southampton go into the contest defending champions and will be looking to make it five in a row with a victory away from home. This year’s competition has already got off to a close start, with Southampton taking victory in the Karting, Riding and Surfing contests, but sadly missing out on victories in American Football and Gymnastics.

The contest kicks off at 9.30am with the Men’s Football and Rugby thirds, as well as Women’s Volleyball firsts and Fencing taking place early on. The long day of action packed sport will eventually climax in the hotly anticipated Men’s Rugby firsts at around 4pm. You can see the entire fixture list here at the official UPSU Varsity site.

With it being the first week of Easter, on site support may be understandably lagging on the Southampton side; but fear not, you can keep up do date wherever you are right here at the Wessex Scene.

There’s a number of ways to stay in touch with all the happenings in Portsmouth. We’ll be live blogging the whole show, with pictures, interviews and news throughout the day. You can also keep up to date by following the Wessex Scene on Twitter or by liking our Facebook page.

You can also have your say and make sure you support our athlete’s from afar by using the hashtags #TeamSoton and #VarsityCup2013.

If you are heading down to Portsmouth to support the team on the day, the events will be spread across numerous venues, so take a look at this handy map to plan out where you need to be and when. You can find out all the information you need on tickets and buses from the SUSU event page here.

Let’s all get behind our team tomorrow, whether you can be there or not, and take the fight to them!

Portsmouth, you better be scared.

Conquering the world, one sport article at a time.