Police motorcyclist killed in road crash

0

An on-duty police officer has died following a traffic collision on Thomas Lewis Way –  one of the major routes into Southampton centre – at 2pm today 

The police officer, who was on duty, was riding an unmarked police motorcycle when he collided with a silver BMW, near the Shell petrol station at around 2pm.

Both the police officer and the BMW driver were taken to Southampton General Hospital. The officer was pronounced dead on arrival. His next of kin and colleagues have been informed.

The car driver, a 35-year-old man, is still being treated after suffering serious, though not life-threatening injuries.

A marks the approximate location of the collision, between the University and Wessex Lane Halls
‘A’ marks the approximate location of the collision, between the University’s Highfield Campus and Wessex Lane Halls

Andy Marsh, Hampshire Chief Constable gave a statement earlier today:

“This is an immensely sad day for the constabulary and the force will be deeply affected.

“We are supporting the officer’s family in every way we can and our thoughts remain very much with them at this time.”

The road remains closed, causing congestion amongst the Portswood and Swathyling area of the city, as officers continue to investigate the scene.

The Wessex Scene would like to offer their condolences to the the officer’s family and friends, as well as the police force.