Explosion in London Tube Treated as Terror Incident

0

An explosion occurred at Parsons Green Station on a District line train from Wimbledon in south-west London this morning at 8:20am.

The blast is now being treated as a terror incident.

As the Islamist State group said it was behind the bomb, Theresa May has raised the UK terror threat to critical, the highest level.

Scotland Yard confirmed that the explosion was caused by an ‘improvised explosive device’ which was detonated during Friday’s rush hour.

They said the device had a timer and did not go off properly. It could have done much more damages.

A bucket was allegedly set on fire inside a supermarket bag. However, analysis has found little damage inside of the carriage.

The Metropolitan Police has confirmed that twenty-two people were treated in hospital, mostly for burn injuries. In total, twenty-nine people were injured in the incident. People are advised to avoid the area.

While the cause of the fire has not yet been confirmed, Scotland Yard said it is treating it as a terror incident.

Several witnesses described the panic after as ‘a sort of loud explosion’ in itself, with everyone running out of the station.

Natasha Wills, assistant director of operations at London Ambulance Service is quoted saying:

We have sent multiple resources to the scene including single responders in cars, ambulance crews, incident response officers and our hazardous area response team, with the first of our medics arriving in under five minutes.

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, condemned the terror attack as :

Our city utterly condemns the hideous individuals who attempt to use terror to harm us and destroy our way of life. (…) My sincere gratitude goes to all our courageous emergency responders and the TfL staff who were first on the scene. I urge all Londoners to remain calm and vigilant, and to check TfL’s website for travel advice.

Hundreds of detectives, working with the MI5, are investigating the blast.

A police hunt is currently taking place in London to find the person or people behind the bomb.

Wessex Scene will keep you updated with new information as it follows.