Global Creativity Index – a New Way to Measure National Success?

0

James Clayton

The Martin Prosperity Institute published a report on the Global Creativity Index (GCI) in January 2011. Measuring levels in technology, talent and tolerance, the GCI is able to show which countries that nurture most creativity, prosperity and well-being.

Referring to itself as the ‘the world’s leading think-tank on the role of sub-national factors in global economy prosperity’, the Martin Prosperity Institute believes that the GCI can rightfully assess the prospects of economic success, equality and happiness. Countries with high levels in export and economic competitiveness, and human development usually get the highest GCI.

The United Kingdom and the United States, both have, according the the Institute, high economic output and low economic equality. Scandinavian countries like Finland and Norway show better results in economic equality. Most countries with a high GCI follow the Scandinavian trend. This suggests that the ‘high-road’ to national prosperity can be to let a bigger proportion of the society enjoy economic advantages.

Four of the GCI ten top countries are Scandinavian, with Sweden as number one with a GCI of 0.923. The United States comes second with 0.902. Other successful countries are Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Singapore and the Netherlands. The United Kingdom has a GCI of 0.789, while Cambodia lies in the bottom with an index of 0.020.