Iran Outlaws Education For Thousands

6

University students across the UK, including at the University of Southampton, are launching a national campaign for young Iranians barred from higher education. This aims to bring to light the fact that the Islamic Republic of Iran, one of the world’s most egregious human rights abusers, oppresses and discriminates against its own population. Today, many young Iranians are forced to endure the denial of admission to university. But education is a fundamental right – as essential as breathing. The CAN YOU SOLVE THIS? human rights campaign seeks to mobilise large numbers of individuals and groups in support of thousands of Iranian youth.

The campaign uses a QR (Quick Response) code to attract attention. Students are invited to scan the QR code with their phone, or visit the website, and watch a video that explains the issue.

The website asks students to write to the Foreign Secretary, the Rt Hon William Hague, and the Iranian minister responsible for higher education, the Hon Kamran Daneshjoo.

This aims to bring support to the thousands of young Iranians who are barred from universities and institutions of higher learning because they have political views, social affiliations or religious convictions rejected by their government. Human rights defenders, women’s rights activists, and members of ethnic or religious minorities are often excluded.

The treatment of the Bahá’í community, Iran’s largest religious minority, is a stark example of this injustice. They are subject to government policies that systematically prevent them from accessing higher education. Their informal initiative to provide higher education, the Bahá’í Institute for Higher Education, has been attacked by the government. In other words, their efforts to acquire knowledge for themselves have been declared illegal.

Article 26 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights proclaims that everyone has the right to education. Article 13 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights – to which Iran is a state party – explicitly codifies the right, by stating that, “higher education shall be made equally accessible to all”.

The youth of Iran urgently need popular support. CAN YOU SOLVE THIS? calls on UK students to respond as members of a global community, to ensure that the right to higher education in Iran is respected. Through raising public awareness and enlisting support, the campaign will demand an end to these unjust and oppressive practices. Iran is strangling itself and its future by strangling its youth. Give a voice to the voiceless of Iran.

Can You Solve This? Watch the video to find out more…

I am an Iranian and totally reject this propaganda non sense claim.
    Iran has the world youngest population (75%-80% under the age of 30) the vast majoroty of whom have high school diplomas.
    Threre are at least one or two universities in every town and city offering a variety of courses up to Phd level.
    The education system is far superior to the British, French and American system and even the school children have far more common knoledge of the basics than their counterparts in the countries mentioned above.
    I concede that Iranian govenment does regulates a lot even dress code for university students which I do not support but claiming that it is a human right issue is nothing but propaganda.
    Please take the same isuue and line of arguments for the palestinians who are even denied the most basic of education by the Israelis then we might start to believe your genuine point of concern and argument.

Yes, I agree with the below comment that there is a lot of anti-Iran propaganda that oversimplifies the issues. There are a lot of problems in the West as well.

I oppose the Iranian government’s obsession with telling people how to dress and how to socialise. People should be allowed to make their own choices with regard to what they should dress in, what they should drink and eat and how they socialise. Iran should have pubs, restaurants, wine bars, etc. and those who don’t want to go there have the choice to stay away and those who do will enjoy it.

Islam is not all about repressing the people. It advises the people and it is good advice. Just because someone who suffered from a bipolar depression problem said that “There is no fun in Islam” shouldn’t be taken as gospel as this was said by a man who was depressed and had no fun in his own life!! Islam like all religions should make people happy and support people. That’s what the Koran says. Sure, the Koran does not even mention dress code!! With regard to alcohol, it is obvious that sensible drinking is allowed but not harmful drinking. Quote: a little wine is good, too much wine is bad. Iran needs to get past its use of religion to repress as does Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc. But the West never ever mentions that these are even more repressive than Iran is!! Also, you are correct about Palestine. The Israelis are doing to the Palestinians exactly what Milosevic did to Bosnians and Kosovans but notice the different response!

I don’t think that the point of this article has quite been understood. This is not about the education system in Iran, this is about basic human rights. This about the fact that the Iranian government systematically oppresses it’s own people, denying it’s religious minorities access to higher education. I am part Iranian and this is not an attack on the Iranian people, but on the inhumane methods that the government uses against it’s own citizens. Members of these religious minorities, who are as Iranian as the next person, would contribute to the betterment of the country, if allowed to do so. One cannot deny that the shameful abuses of human rights that the government of Iran inflicts upon it’s citizens are in no way justifiable.

As someone who enjoys access to any education I wish I find the above article worrying, why should anyone be denied their right to education? Especially in a country as advanced as Iran. Here in this country we take these things for granted but we cannot sit by and do nothing while all over the world human rights are ignored.

Marty Wupdaginn

Iranian people are excellent and lovely people. The Iranian government is different. It needs a total makeover or else it will end up like Colonel Gaddafi’s regime and so on. Are the Iranian people happy with their mean, oppressive, “nationalistic”, “Islamist”, cruel, abusive regime that denies basic human rights to most of the population? Most definitely not. All want to see improvements but will the regime collapse peacefully, implode violently, or reform itself? Whatever way, it’s mean ways will not keep it alive for much longer.