The Globalisation of our University

0

Over three million students study abroad at foreign universities. The mobility of students and faculties has become an international phenomenon. Usually driven by economic advantages, Western universities not only establish research and partnership contacts throughout the world, but also expand through satellite campuses. This academic globalisation can lead to deeper understanding, tolerance and intergration. Universities gain international reputation and student opportunities increase. What about our university then? The Scene takes a look at how global the University of Southampton is…

Steven Langdon: Graphics Arts
Steven Langdon: Graphics Arts

World Wide University Network

As one of the founding members of the WUN, created in 2000, Southampton partakes in an international collaboration focusing on research. 17 institutions are currently a part of the network, spread out in six different countries, including Norway, South Africa, and New Zealand. The CEO, Professor John Hearn, explains that the aim of WUN is to ‘solve global problems’.

MEXSU

A collaboration between 30 Mexican universities and the University of Southampton emerged to promote Mexican culture and language. Projects include research in Mexican immigration to the USA, and ‘Mexican-ness’ in contemporary tourism. In 2009, an MA in Spanish and Latin American Studies was created to further enhance the partnership between Southampton and Mexico.

Centre for Contemporary China

CCC was established in 2004 to pursue a collaboration between Southampton and Chinese universities in the fields of Economics, Management and International Relations. A Chinese National Library Collection has been set up at Hartley, and an MSc in Inernational Relations focusing on China has been launched. Graduates can apply for a scholarship that allows up to one year of study in China.

Satellite Campuses

2011 has seen a riveting opening of two global campuses. Dalian Polytechnic University in China offers BA art programmes, while students at the Malaysian campus in Nusajaya can study engineering. Undergraduates have to complete at least one year at the main campus in Southampton. The study calendar will include both English and local holidays. Pro Vice-Chancellor Mark Spearing believes that the campus will add significantly to ‘our international profile’.