African Caribbean “Culture Fest” Breaks Barriers

5

University of Southampton African Caribbean Society (ACS) presented a culture show on Thursday the 10th of May in the Turner Sims Concert Hall. It is a new but active society, established nearly two years ago. It held a successful show last year, and this is the second show.

The society is led by Yasmin Arhin-Acquaah as the ACS President and Tomi Ibirogba as the ACS Vice President. This year’s show made big progress and was more successful than the last one. Everyone in the society contributed towards the event and the aim of this event was to showcase the traditional culture to everyone in Southampton and break the barriers between the ACS, the SUSU and the entire student body.

The show began at 7:30 pm, but the audience arrived well in advance. During this time, I interviewed the audience in the hall and some economics students said they were looking forward to the performance although the price for the ticket was a little bit too expensive.

Mo The Comedian, who made the audience laugh a lot, hosted the show. The show lasted nearly two and a half hours, and fresh and hot food was provided during the break. This was more than welcomed by the audience. The show consisted of a series of drama; singing, dancing, fashion shows and instrumental performances. Starting with rapper Skinny Malone, the style of the drama showcased the major cultural influence of both Caribbean and African geographies.

Each performance had its characteristics, and was welcomed by the audience with resounding applauds. The fashion show displayed colorful traditional clothes while the dances and drama presented their enthusiastic attitude to life. In addition to traditional performances shown by students, the ACS had invited a professional team to present a Capoeira show. It was a very refreshing and exotic performance combining dance, martial arts and music.

The African traditional dance and Caribbean carnival dance pushed the performance to climax again and again. People shouted and clapped continuously. During the show, Street Child Africa, an organisation aiming to help the lives of African children, gave a brief introduction. The show ended with the West African drumming called Djembe by Rhythm of Africa. It is roped-tuned skin-covered drum played with bare bands. The title “CULTURE FEST” lived up to its name. It translated to a cultural movement and reflected the desire of promoting the loving peace and culture of Africa and the Caribbean.

At the end of the show, President Yasmin and Vice President Tomi gave a short but touching presentation. They were pleased with the event, and appreciated all the people who contributed to the show.

In all, it was a very successful culture show by the ACS. It brought splendid performances and was great fun. I can’t say which performance was the best because every performance brought deep impression and diversity. I am looking forward to the show next year and it is believed the ACS will continue to expand and develop even better.

I believe the title is misleading. Isn’t it supposed to be African&Caribbean or Afro-Caribbean ?

Emezie

Yeah I agree, the title is misleading, it’s meant to be African & Caribbean Culture Fest. Plus the organisation Street Child Africa didn’t give an introduction-that’s physically impossible!!-but a representative gave a presentation informing on what the organisation is about.

Maja Hultman

The headline has been changed now. Sorry for the confusion.