Society Spotlight: Spanish, Latin American and Portuguese Society

In the run up to the start of the new term, Wessex Scene is profiling various international societies at the university. To kick of the series, Vice President of the Spanish, Latin American and Portuguese Society( (SLAPS) Courtney Ismain explains what the society is about and why you should get involved.

What is SLAPS?

SLAPS stands for Spanish, Latin American and Portuguese Society. We celebrate the Hispanic- and Lusophone-speaking worlds with fun events and socials that immerse you in their respective cultures. We also support the learning of Spanish and Portuguese with language cafes that perfectly accompany your language course. That said, SLAPS welcomes everyone, regardless of university course, to join the fiesta!

Why should I join?

SLAPS is the place to enjoy the food, music and traditions from Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries all over the world. It is run entirely by students passionate about the respective cultures, and many of us speak the languages, so here you can practice and learn in a relaxed and friendly environment.

What have you got planned for this year?

Our very first event will be a collaboration with FrenSoc and GerSoc to hold a Battle of the Languages! We are also planning a Brazilian-style carnaval that will be too good to miss – we held one last year with Mexican Society and won Event of the Year at the RAG Awards. Keep your eyes peeled for a trip to either Spain or Portugal in the new year.

How do I get involved?

SLAPS will be at the Bunfight, where you can sign up to our mailing list and receive news and information about upcoming events. You can also join our Facebook page, Spanish, Latin American and Portuguese Society, for the latest information.

More articles in International Society Spotlight
  1. Society Spotlight: Spanish, Latin American and Portuguese Society
  2. Society Spotlight: Erasmus Society
  3. Society Spotlight: German Society