Society Spotlight: Erasmus Society

0

Next up in our series of international society profiles is the Erasmus Society. I speak to its president Joseph Slattery about what the society does and why students should get involved.

What is the society?

Erasmus Student Network is a non-profit international student organisation. Our mission is to represent international students, thus provide opportunities for cultural understanding and self-development under the principle of Students Helping Students. In Southampton specifically, that means providing help and support for incoming erasmus students, as well as organising events and activities for them, so they can get the best experience of England and Southampton as possible.

Why should I join?

You should join as its a fantastic opportunity to make new friends from around the world, and take part in some of our amazing events planned for the next year. If you get an ESN card, you can also get discounts in certain partnered stores and businesses.

What have you got planned for the year?

Over the next year, ESN Southampton will be going on trips to Edinburgh and Amsterdam, as well as trips to places around the UK, like Salisbury and Stonehenge. We will also be putting on events through our Buddy scheme, which matches International students with local Southampton students, and social Erasmus.

How do I get involved?

We have a facebook group, Erasmus Society Southampton 2015/16, which is regularly updated with what’s going on. We will also be at the Bunfight, and on the Thursday afternoon of freshers week we will be holding a welcome talk. Anyone can come to our events, as the majority of them will not need to be registered for, i.e. club nights. Everyone is welcome, Erasmus student or not!

More articles in International Society Spotlight
  1. Society Spotlight: Spanish, Latin American and Portuguese Society
  2. Society Spotlight: Erasmus Society
  3. Society Spotlight: German Society

Deputy Editor 2017-18, International Editor 2015-17. Languages student currently adjusting to being back in the UK after a year abroad in Chile. Interested in Latin America, world news, media and politics.