Cruz And Sanders At Sea After Decisive Acela Primaries

0

Last night the five Northeastern states that form the ‘Acela’ Primary Elections: Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island successfully hosted their Primary Elections for both the Republican and Democratic parties. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump managed to secure the majority of votes and support from the consensus of pledged delegates from almost every state, with Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders’s campaign hopes for party nomination now hanging by a thread.

Donald Trump had a particularly successful night in the battle for the Republican Party nomination, achieving landslide victories in all five states over his remaining opponents Ted Cruz and John Kasich. Trump reportedly received an average of almost 60% of the popular vote in most states after the state results were confirmed early this morning, and consequently gained an extra 100 delegates. These results were vital in increasing Trump’s overall delegate tally to 950, now critically only 287 delegates short of the 1,237 total delegates required to secure his nomination for the Grand Old Party. Trump’s closest rival, Ted Cruz, suffered a disappointing night, coming third in four of the five state primaries behind John Kasich, the Governor of Ohio, and is now a distant 400 delegates behind.

While Trump must wait at least until the California primary on June 7th to secure his successful nomination, last night Trump declared himself as the ‘presumptive nominee‘ for the Republican Party, illustrating his confidence in achieving future primary success. Trump’s successful nomination as the Republican Presidential candidate is now being considered as imminent, however attention has already turned to the upcoming primary event in Indiana on May 3rd, where the recent political union of former rivals Ted Cruz and John Kasich in strong opposition against Donald Trump’s extreme agenda have already began to campaign in their attempts to overturn the deficit.

Similarly, although Hillary Clinton was unable to mirror Donald Trump in winning all five state primary elections last night, Clinton also enjoyed a very successful night in the Democratic Primary Elections and was only narrowly defeated in the Rhode Island primary by Bernie Sanders. While the Democratic state primaries were more closely contested than their Republican counterparts, with Clinton narrowly defeating Sanders 51% to 46% in the Connecticut primary, Clinton’s hard-fought victories have now given her a commanding lead over rival Bernie Sanders. The Acela state primaries have approximately granted Clinton a decisive 204 additional pledged delegates, with Sanders only gaining 144 delegates comparatively. Last night’s results have taken Hillary Clinton to an estimated 2,150 delegates, and within 300 of the total delegate count needed to attain the Democratic nomination at the Democratic National Convention, while Sanders has fallen back to 1,338. The large divide is not truly representative of voter preference, as Clinton’s tally is composed by the crucial endorsements of 519 Democratic unpledged delegates, or superdelegates, yet Sanders’s campaign has lost some valuable momentum in its attempt to persuade these superdelegates to change their minds, and consequently bridge the gap up to Clinton.

Following the disappointing results, Bernie Sanders optimistically proclaimed that:

This campaign is going to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia with as many delegates as possible to fight for a progressive party platform.

Yet, despite Sanders’s fighting words and commitment to the Democratic Primary race until the very end, with the proximity of both front running candidates to reach their respective targets, and few calendar events remaining until the party conventions in July, it seems only a matter of time until both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump reach their respective goals. Neither Hillary Clinton nor Donald Trump’s lead in their respective primary races are unassailable, yet a revival from rival nominees from within either the Democratic or Republican Parties seems unlikely at this stage of the campaign.

Wessex Scene Politics Editor 2016/17 Modern History and Politics Student