Things Aren’t Looking So Good for Brock Turner

0

Released from jail after serving just half of a 6 month sentence, life on the outside isn’t looking so good for the 21 year old who was convicted of sexual assault earlier this year. 

Dozens of protestors, some armed with rifles, congregated outside the Turner family residence in Ohio, with signs and banners condemning his light sentence. One protestor was seen holding a sign with the words ‘if I rape Brock Turner will I only get 3 months?’, while another wrote in chalk on the pavement outside Turner’s house ‘shoot your local rapist!’.

These are not death threats per se, although the aim does seem to be to impede Turner’s life and to ‘make him uncomfortable in his own home’. Instead, the activists maintain that this is a political statement.

The protestors have also directed their anger towards Turner’s parents, after his father famously referred to the sexual assault as ’20 minutes of action’. Additionally, both of Brock Turner’s parents have refused to acknowledge that he did anything wrong, leading some to conclude that his behaviour must have been influenced by the fact that his family clearly don’t see anything wrong with those kind of actions.

Image: Micah Naziri.
Image: Micah Naziri.

Turner was registered as a sex offender in the state of Ohio on September 6. His mother is reportedly concerned for his safety, prompting the Greene County sheriff Gene Fischer to issue a statement, in which it was detailed that officials will treat Turner like any other registered sex offender, meaning that he will receive no special treatment from law enforcement.

Turner’s case was so widely reported in the media that it sparked outrage across the globe, with many taking stances on rape, athletes, sexual assault and white privilege. The media coverage alone and the backlash that comes with it is enough to make anyone tremble, but there has been no word on how Turner is dealing with the situation.

Finally, Turner’s case prompted California Legislature to vote in favour of imposing stricter punishment for those convicted of sexual assault. Ever wonder why Turner only got 3 months? It’s not all down to white privilege and him being an athlete. Under the previous California law, there was a loophole. Although the use of force during sexual assault automatically ensures a prison sentence, in cases like Turner’s, which involve the sexual assault of an unconscious or severely intoxicated victim, the perpetrator may not have to use force and therefore may be eligible for probation instead of mandatory prison time. Essentially, because the victim couldn’t fight back, the perpetrator is eligible for a lesser sentence. However, this loophole has now been closed.

Law student at the University of Southampton. Features Editor 2016/17. I also write for KettleMag, The Edge and The National Student. Avid reader, badminton player, dog lover and hedgehog rescuer.