University Of Nevada Presidential Debate – Live Blog

0

Welcome to Wessex Scene’s live coverage of the third and final presidential debate. We’ll be covering developments as they happen and fact checking some of the candidates’ remarks.

After a tense week of media coverage and fallout from accusations of sexual assault tonight’s event promises to be a lively affair. You can also follow our updates on Twitter @WSPolitics.

More articles in US Presidential Election 2016
  1. The Unthinkable Happened – What Will a Trump Presidency Mean for You?
  2. Interference in the US Election: Where Do We Draw the Line?
  3. US Presidential Election 2016: Who is the Lesser of Two Evils?
  4. The US Electoral College: An Explainer
  5. US Presidential Election 2016: A Close Call?
  6. Hofstra University Presidential Debate – Live Blog
  7. A Look Across the Pond: Issue 1
  8. A Look Across the Pond: Issue 2
  9. A Look Across the Pond: Issue 3
  10. A Look Across The Pond: Issue 4
  11. If Clinton Was Male She Would Win In A Landslide
  12. Washington University Presidential Debate – Live Blog
  13. University Of Nevada Presidential Debate – Live Blog
  14. US Presidential Debate Sketch: What Would George Think?
  15. Trump Announces His ‘Contract With The American Voter’
  16. People Shouldn’t Vote For Hillary Because Of Gender
  17. Trump, Fear and Trembling
  18. Five Reasons Not To Worry (Too) Much About Trump
  19. US Presidential Election 2016: Live Blog
avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20161:37 am

Welcome to the third and final presidential debate. If you could call it that… Potentially the last time these two candidates will be in the same room and the last time we can directly compare them before the Election Night on November 8th

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20161:43 am

The current climate heading into this debate according to the CNN Poll of Polls

Hillary Clinton headshot photo
47%
clinton
Donald Trump headshot photo
39%
trump
avatar Anonymous
avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20161:46 am

Clinton has arrived Ladies and Gentlemen

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20161:52 am

And so has the Trump team who have taken their seats, the debate starts in 8 minutes

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20161:55 am

Some pundits have suggested that the Clinton campaign considers the race over and a victory for her. Will be interested to see how this affects her rhetoric in the debate tonight.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20161:59 am

Interesting poll from Bloomberg on how supporters of each candidate would react in a given post election eventuality.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:00 am

Moderator Chris Wallace has taken to the stage and is going through the debate rules.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:01 am

Wallace has previously said that he will not fact check the candidates as it is not his role.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:03 am

Tonight debate could have a huge impact not only on the presidential race but also on the Congressional elections with all the seats in the House of Representatives up for grabs as well as 34 Senators

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:03 am

Guests present tonight include former Republican presidential nominee Sarah Palin for Trump and HP CEO Meg Whitman and billionaire Mark Cuban for Clinton.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:05 am

And we are off, Chris Wallace giving the intro – each segment will last 15 mins with 2 mins for each candidate to respond to each question followed by open discussion.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:06 am

Supreme Court nomination the first topic up for debate, an issue discussed by McCain recently after he said that he would block any appointment made by a Clinton administration

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:06 am

Wallace asks where the candidates would like to see the Supreme Court take the country and how the constitution should be interpreted.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:07 am

Clinton – supreme court needs to stand with the people not the wealthy, needs to stand up for rights of women and LGBT communities and oppose Citizens United legislation.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:08 am

Clinton highlighting Citizens United as a key Supreme Court case she wants to see changed. A popular opinion amongst millennials as well as Democratic voter base

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:09 am

Interesting topic given the current situation for Obama’s latest Supreme Court Nominee. 217 days since President Obama nominated Merrick Garland to
the Supreme Court and the senate has never taken longer than 125 days to accept or reject a nomination.

avatar Harry Placsom October 20, 20162:09 am

Clinton claims that the ruling of Citizens United vs Federal Election Commission in 2010 allowed huge amounts of ‘dark’ money into the political system.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:10 am

Trump – we need a supreme court that will uphold the “under siege” 2nd Amendment of the consitution. Justices I will appoint will be pro life and conservative.

Trump – my justices would interpret constitution in the way the founders of the US did and the “way it was meant to be”.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:11 am

Trump appealing to his base of Pro-Life, 2nd Amendment, Conservatism.

The Fox News moderator might be a different beast for Clinton and Trump than we have seen in the last two debates
avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:12 am

Trump mentioned remarks made about him by Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg – she described him as a “faker” but did later apologise for these remarks.

avatar Harry Placsom October 20, 20162:12 am

Trump reasserts his desire to appoint a strict constructionist/originalist judge to the supreme court.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:14 am

Trumps ‘calm, presidential’ character is back for this debate. How long will it last tonight? May be make or break for his campaign

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:14 am

Clinton again calling for increased background checks on gun owners. Claims 33,000 people die each year – saying there should be no conflict between second amendment and saving lives.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:15 am

Trump suggesting tougher gun legislation is ineffective, citing the example of Chicago.

avatar Harry Placsom October 20, 20162:16 am

”Hillary Clinton wants to abolish the Second Amendment” Trump claimed at a rally on the 7th of May. That is false, the PolitiFact fact check is here http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/may/11/donald-trump/donald-trump-falsely-claims-hillary-clinton-wants-/

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:17 am

Clinton correct to claim that dozens of toddlers kill people in gun related incidents – up to May this year 23 people had already been killed by toddlers in gun related incidents.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:18 am

The split on Planned Parenthood and Abortion is clear on stage. A strong reason why Clinton is polling much higher with Women than Trump

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:19 am

Roe vs Wade, the case being debated, was a landmark Supreme Court decision which decreed that women had a right to privacy on the decision of abortion under the 14th Amendment.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:20 am

This section of the debate was meant to be on the Supreme Court itself, now seems more on social issues.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:21 am

Immigration next up

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:21 am

53% of Americans believe Clinton <a href="http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/third-presidential-debate-election-2016/?livepress-update-16926064“>would be better at nominating the next justice than Trump.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:22 am

“We have no country if we have no borders” Trump says before bringing up the endorsement by the US Border Force

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:23 am

Research on universal gun background checks as supported by Clinton has suggested they reduce homicides.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:25 am

No evidence to suggest undocumented immigrants commit more crimes than native Americans as Trump claims. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/your-debate-briefing-book-the-policies/part2

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:26 am

Clinton: We are a nation of immigrants and of laws. Will introduce comprehensive reform early on while in office. Trump accuses Clinton of wanting “the wall” on the Mexican border in 2006.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:27 am

“I voted for border security” “And a wall” Trump interjects – Almost as if the two can not be separate

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:27 am

Clinton accuses Trump of using undocumented labour to build Trump Tower.

avatar Harry Placsom October 20, 20162:28 am

Trump partially correct that Clinton voted for border security, that included a physical barrier but not a wall. http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2016/aug/15/donald-trump/donald-trump-right-hillary-clinton-once-wanted-wal/

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:29 am

Spin Doctor David Axelrod says Clinton’s view on immigration is that of the majority.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:30 am

Trump correct – Obama has deported around 2 million people while in office, which is more than George W Bush. http://blogs.reuters.com/data-dive/2015/02/25/tracking-obamas-deportation-numbers/

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:30 am

So far tonight Trump has been trying to appeal to his base more than the independents – Clinton has remained on policy and fact based talk not rhetoric, perhaps why she has produced a lead in the polls thanks to these debates as well as scandals…

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:31 am

Tonight’s debate has been much more policy focused than the two previous events. While Trump arguably has fewer concrete proposals than Clinton having to defend the establishment view on some issues surely doesn’t help her image to some voters.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:32 am

Trump’s connection to Putin again raised as an issue. Clinton accuses Trump of “spouting the Putin line” and encouraging foreign espionage in the US.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:35 am

United States maintained an arsenal of 4,500 nuclear warheads – https://www.sipri.org/research/armaments-and-disarmament/nuclear-weapons/world-nuclear-forces/the-united-states

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:35 am

Only 10% of Americans have a favourable image of Putin, Trump refusing to condemn him may not be a smart move. Not quite sure how we got here from immigration though….

“Wrong” – Trump 2016

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:36 am

http://time.com/4437089/donald-trump-nuclear-weapons-nukes/ the timeline of Trumps comments on Nuclear Weapons and their use

Trump confusing what he said and hasn’t said

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:37 am
avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:37 am

Trumps comments undermine the mission of NATO, a serious issue for those in the Western world. No wonder Putin is anti-Clinton

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:38 am

Next question on the economy – Clinton says she wants to grow the economy, create new jobs and focus on clean energy. Equal pay for men and women.

avatar Harry Placsom October 20, 20162:40 am

Clinton calls Trump’s economic plan ‘trickle-down economics on steroids’

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:41 am

True that most of Clinton’s tax rises would fall on the richest 1% of Americans.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:42 am

Trump again condemns the NAFTA trade deal, says it will be abolished and replaced with a “great” new deal.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:43 am

Trump previously suggested that S Korea and Japan SHOULD have their own nuclear weapons. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-japan-south-korea-might-need-nuclear-weapons/

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:44 am

Trump’s tax policy would cut taxes for low earners but many middle class families would end up paying more.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:45 am

Clinton says Obama doesn’t get the credit he deserves for “saving the economy”. Says she will increase investment and not add a “penny” to the national debt.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:46 am

“We invest from the middle-out, bottom-up. NOT top-down. That doesn’t work” – Clinton

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:47 am

According to the US Treasury, the Obama administration currently has a pubic debt of $14 billion.

avatar Harry Placsom October 20, 20162:47 am

Chris Wallace is correct that many experts have said that Trump’s economic plan will add to the national debt and ‘the numbers don’t add up’ http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/oct/11/hillary-clinton/clinton-right-trump-tax-plan-gives-more-rich-bush-/

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:48 am

Studies suggest Clinton’s plans will not create as many jobs as claimed.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:49 am

Trump essentially saying GDP growth is a direct reflection on a nations economy. If this was true it would make Papa New Guinea the best economy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:49 am

The Congressional Budget Office, currently suggests that the US deficit is set to grow once again. http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/third-presidential-debate-election-2016/?lpup=17272239livepress-update-17272239

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:50 am

Trump to Clinton: you have “bad experience” and talk without getting anything done. This is getting personal once again…

avatar Harry Placsom October 20, 20162:51 am

Trump correct that Clinton called TPP the gold standard.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:52 am

Trump just gave Clinton a perfect way to sell her experience as a politician…

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:52 am

In Response to Trumps, why did she not do more in 30 years I will bring back a classic quote from previous debates “She was 1 Senator out of 100 in the Senate. Which is one of the Houses in Congress. Which is one branch of the US Government…”

Trump now saying the US should have never gone to Iraq and accuses Clinton of being responsible for the creation of IS.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:53 am

The plan to leave Iraq was created and agreed by the Bush administration. Not the Obama administration

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:54 am

Now a question on Trump’s alleged sexual assault of women. Trump claims stories have been debunked and are “totally false”, suggested the accusations were created by the Clinton campaign.

Trump: I didn’t even apologise to my wife because I have done nothing and do not know these women.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:55 am

Analysis by FiveThirtyEight of <a href="http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/third-presidential-debate-election-2016/?lpup=13412122livepress-update-13412122“> how much each candidate has interrupted during this debate so far.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:57 am

In spite of accusing the Clinton campaign of deliberately causing violence, Trump himself has incited violence toward protesters on more than once occasion.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:57 am

“Nobody has more respect for women than I do” Trumps statement is responded to with chuckles from the audience

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20162:58 am

Trump brings up Clinton’s emails to detract from claims of sexual assault. He knows it is her achillies heel but is undermined by the fact it has been in front of the FBI

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20162:58 am

Clinton: everytime Donald is pushed on something “uncomfortable” he denies responsibility, never apologises.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:01 am

The Washington Post’s fact checker points out accusations of sexual assault toward Trump have not been debunked.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:02 am

Moment of tension when Clinton mentions the Clinton Foundation – moderator Wallace cuts her short, while Trump accuses the Clinton foundation of being a violent organisation.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:04 am
avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:04 am

Charity monitor, CharityWatch, says that 88% of the foundation’s money goes toward its charitable mission and gave the foundation an A rating for 2016.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:05 am

Trump claims’s 100% of Trump Foundation money goes to charitable causes. Clinton says this can’t be proven given Trump refuses to publish his tax return.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:06 am

Interestingly, Trump apparently once donated money to the Clinton Foundation!

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:08 am

Trump refuses to say, unlike his VP running mate and his daughter, that he would accept the results of the election. Following on from rallies were he has claimed the election is rigged by Clinton and the media

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:08 am

When asked whether he will accept the election result, Trump refuses to offer a direct answer (“I will look at it at the time”) and accuses the media of being dishonest. Raises the issue of voter fraud.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:09 am

Trump: Clinton committed “a serious crime” and should not be allowed to run.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:10 am

An investigation by Wired shows just how difficult it would be to actually rig the election.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:11 am

Trump technically correct that the money paid to settle a lawsuit of a profitable business by his foundation in 2007 went to charity. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-used-258000-from-his-charity-to-settle-legal-problems/2016/09/20/adc88f9c-7d11-11e6-ac8e-cf8e0dd91dc7_story.html

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:13 am

That said, it is incorrect that 100% of his charity’s money goes to those in need.

Next question on foreign policy – Clinton says she will continue to advocate a No Fly Zone in Syria & Iraq and work toward a political solution.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:14 am

Some prominent republicans have refuted Trump’s claim that the election is rigged.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:15 am

Trump: we had Mosul, now we are fighting to get it back after losing it.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:15 am

Boots on the ground in Iraq to help the defeat of ISIS, simplified the responses to a yes or no.

Clinton – “No”
Trump – “N/A”
avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:16 am

Trump claiming Clinton pulling out of Iraq despite this being the work of the Bush administration

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:17 am

Obama’s former speechwriter on Trump’s refusal to say he will accept the election result.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:18 am
avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:20 am

Worth noting that the fear of Islamic fundamentalism among Republicans is at its highest level since 1998.

Trump: Assad is smarter than Clinton and Obama.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:23 am

Interestingly Chris Wallace throughly fact checking both candidates on Syria despite his earlier comments to the contrary.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:24 am

A recent Fox poll found Americans trust Clinton over Trump on foreign policy.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:26 am

Next question on national debt, which is now 77% of US GDP. Both candidates accused of ignoring the issue and increasing debt.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:27 am

Trump: we will create a “tremendous economic machine” once again, take back jobs.

Until now the debt and deficit have been little discussed during the campaign.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:29 am

Clinton: Trump has been criticising the government for decades. We will ask the wealthy and corporations to pay more without diminishing growth.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:30 am

Here’s the 1987 newspaper ad Clinton mentioned. https://www.buzzfeed.com/ilanbenmeir/that-time-trump-spent-nearly-100000-on-an-ad-criticizing-us

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:32 am

“Obamacare has to go”, need to “repeal and replace” – Trump

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:33 am

Reports suggest the Social Security Trust fund will be depleted in 18 years.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:33 am

“Such a nasty woman” – Trump on Clinton

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:34 am

Clinton: If Trump repeals Affordable Care Act, Medicare problems will worsen.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:35 am

Wallace gives each candidate a minute for an impromptu closing statement. Clinton says she is reaching out to all Americans to make country “what it should be” and says she knows the responsibility involved, emphasises her commitment to children and families.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:35 am

“I’m appealing to all Americans. Democrats, Republicans and Independents” – Clinton closing remarks begin with this statement

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:36 am

Trump: I will make America great again. Need to fix military and support veterans, bring law and order and justice.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:36 am

Trumps begins with “She is raising money from the people she wants to control. I began this campaign a year ago with a message of Make America Great Again”

Trump: Clinton would be 4 more years of Obama.

Trump highlights the depleted military, lack of law and order, and helping minorities in the inner cities

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:37 am

And that’s a wrap! Final message from moderator Chris Wallace: go out and vote.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:38 am

Trump shook the hand of Wallace, but neither candidate shook hands at the beginning or end of the debate.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:38 am

The LA Times had their senior writers decide who won each round of the debate. They show Clinton as the overall winner. She won 3 of the 5 rounds, the other 2 were seen as ties

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:42 am

Some are glad this is all over.

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:45 am

Full statistics of interruptions during the debate from FiveThirtyEight.

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:52 am

Clinton 60% Trump 40% according to http://heavy.com/news/2016/10/poll-who-won-the-third-presidential-debate/

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:53 am

Clinton 57% Trump 43% according to http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/10/19/poll-won-third-presidential-debate/

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:54 am

Social Media conversation share:

Facebook
Trump 56%
Clinton 44%

Twitter
Trump 59%
Clnton 41%

avatar Tom Brown October 20, 20163:57 am

Trump’s campaign manager claims Trump won the debate

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20163:58 am

Interesting look at the scandals discussed at each debate. http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/third-presidential-debate-election-2016/?lpup=16288231livepress-update-16288231

avatar Cameron Ridgway October 20, 20164:02 am

And that brings our coverage tonight to and end. Thanks for following our live blogs of all three debates and we’ll see you again on November 8th for Election Night!

Deputy Editor 2017-18, International Editor 2015-17. Languages student adjusting to being back in the UK after a year in Chile. Interested in Latin America, world news, media and politics.