The Unthinkable Happened – What Will a Trump Presidency Mean for You?

0

Despite the controversies surrounding Hillary Clinton’s campaign; Benghazi, her private email server and more, she was still ahead in most nationwide polls on the 7th November. As the first polls closed at 23:00 GMT, The New York Times were still calling it for Clinton, giving her an 86% chance of winning the presidency.

Yet as the night progressed and the polls rolled in, it became clear who the 45th president of The United States would be. And it wasn’t to be her. First Florida turned red. Then Ohio. Then North Carolina. Wisconsin, a state that had been proudly blue since the 80s even turned red. Shortly before 03:00 EST, Clinton picked up the phone and conceded defeat. Donald J. Trump is now President-elect of The United States.

But what does this unexpected Trump win mean for the population of the United States? Well, here’s a quick breakdown.

The White Vote

By far the United States biggest demographic, white people across the whole country came out in support of Trump, regardless of their educational background. Overall, 53% of the entire white vote plumped for Mr. Trump, with college-educated white women the only white demographic that opted instead for Ms. Clinton, with a +6% margin. Before election night the Republican party feared Ms. Clinton’s support amongst ethnic minority groups would swing states like Florida for her, however political commentators, such as Van Jones, argued that states like Florida turned red because of a whitelash’ against a black president. Statistics backed this controversial claim up, with a massive 85% of white evangelicals in Florida placing their vote with Donald.

So what does this mean? Some have argued a Trump presidency gives legitimacy to white supremacy. A controversial call, yet not unreasonable, considering he was the presidential candidate backed by the racist KKK. Many have argued that, in a civil rights sense, having the first black president hand over the keys to The White House to a man backed by such an organisation is a massive step backwards.

For the average white American however, a Trump presidency could bring more jobs, as he has promised increased employment opportunities, yet conversely his repeal of Obamacare may leave millions of average Americans without access to healthcare, and his constant denial of climate change and his reluctance to do anything about it may in fact, put all citizens regardless of race in danger as sea levels and temperatures rapidly rise.

Females

It’s unsurprising females as a demographic opted to vote for Clinton, with 54% voting for her over President Elect Trump. Trump has repeatedly called for punishments for women who have abortions, whilst his Vice President Elect Mr. Pence agrees that even if a woman is raped, she must carry the baby to term as it is her “duty as a woman” to do so.

Trump has bragged about sexual assault (‘Grab her by the p*ssy’ – need I say more) and brushed it off as locker room talk, and has made numerous comments about how families should stick to outdated, traditional roles, with the woman as the homemaker. Mr. Pence agrees. His stance is that a women who works leads to their children becoming emotionally distressed.

So what does a Trump presidency mean for women across America? There is real threat the right for a women to chose to have a baby or not will be revoked, as Trump plans to shut down Planned Parenthood clinics across the country. Will a Trump presidency lead to a fall in rape convictions because women are too scared to come forward due to the rhetoric their President uses? We have the next four years to find out.

Hispanics

The Hispanic vote was key on election night, with many arguing the demographic could swing it for Clinton. Clinton led with Hispanics by 67%, but this wasn’t enough to swing the election as a whole.

What will the Trump presidency mean for them?

‘They’re bringing drugs, they’re rapists’, is a direct quote from Donald Trump in regards to illegal immigrants from Mexico. So it’s obvious why he was so unpopular amongst Hispanic voters. Trump has promised to crack down on illegal immigration from the south of the border, and has promised to deport at least five million of those who travelled from Central America seeking The American Dream. This is the total opposite view than the Obama administration, with the former president passing legislation to allow the children of illegal immigrants to become legal by law. The Hispanic population in The USA has been growing in recent years. Will the Trump presidency see this continue?

African-Americans and People of Colour

Black voters were overwhelmingly in favour of a Clinton presidency. 87% of black voters opted for Clinton, a huge majority.

In a country that has never been more divided, and has seen violence against black people rise tremendously, will a Trump presidency do anything to combat this? My view, probably not. Hillary Clinton endorsed the Black Lives Matter campaign. The KKK endorsed Donald Trump. If life for black people were to change for the better, it would for sure be under a Clinton presidency and not a Trump one.

Muslims

Anti-Muslims sentiment was a massive factor in Trump’s campaign. Many might call it project fear, as he attempted to paint normal, moderate Muslims as terrorists with his call to shut down mosques and ban Muslims from entering the US in the wake of the Paris attacks. His presidency is sure to direct more hate towards those who follow the world’s second largest religion. Qatar based news network Al Jazeera called Trump theIslamophobia candidate’.

On election night, many Muslims began to tweet about how they would now have to compromise their religious views to protect themselves from hatred. Is America becoming less safe for Muslims now Donald Trump is president? Again, time will tell.

LGBT+ people

Donald Trump’s running mate and Vice President Elect Mike Pence believes that gay people can be turned straight through electric-shock therapy and voted in 2013 for jail sentences for gay couples who had the audacity to apply for marriage licences.

I don’t even need to ask how the LGBT community will be affected by a Trump presidency. From those facts, we already know.

So what now?

Brace yourselves, because the next four years are going to be turbulent. Neither candidate was a good choice, and both candidates were pitted to be one term Presidents. The 18 month campaign had more controversies than Barack Obama dealt with in 8 years.

Yet in the face of adversity that is a Donald Trump presidency, hopefully the people of America can unite against the hate perpetuated by Trump and ride the next four years out. It’s going to be a tough ride, but faith isn’t lost yet. The Land of the Free has its work cut out, but as ever, love will Trump hate. The good guys always win in the end. 

More articles in US Presidential Election 2016
  1. The Unthinkable Happened – What Will a Trump Presidency Mean for You?
  2. Interference in the US Election: Where Do We Draw the Line?
  3. US Presidential Election 2016: Who is the Lesser of Two Evils?
  4. The US Electoral College: An Explainer
  5. US Presidential Election 2016: A Close Call?
  6. Hofstra University Presidential Debate – Live Blog
  7. A Look Across the Pond: Issue 1
  8. A Look Across the Pond: Issue 2
  9. A Look Across the Pond: Issue 3
  10. A Look Across The Pond: Issue 4
  11. If Clinton Was Male She Would Win In A Landslide
  12. Washington University Presidential Debate – Live Blog
  13. University Of Nevada Presidential Debate – Live Blog
  14. US Presidential Debate Sketch: What Would George Think?
  15. Trump Announces His ‘Contract With The American Voter’
  16. People Shouldn’t Vote For Hillary Because Of Gender
  17. Trump, Fear and Trembling
  18. Five Reasons Not To Worry (Too) Much About Trump
  19. US Presidential Election 2016: Live Blog

International Relations student from Yorkshire; accent so strong it won Olympic weightlifting gold