Performing Arts: an Insight for the New Term and Round Up of Edinburgh Festival

0

The worlds biggest arts festival was another roaring success this year, and Southampton was well represented by the offerings from the SUSU Theatre Group.

Alexis Forss, wrote and co-directed, along with Nick Jones, a Swann and Company production; the sad and miserable tale of Albert Belaqcua. This existentialist offering, of a play within a play, went down a treat with audiences achieving a 4 star review from the British Theatre Guide, who described it as having the ability to “[have the audience]soaking in buckets of laughter-driven tears.”
Bliss, a play adapted by Carol Churchill was the second offering from Theatre Group, co-directed by Jilna Shukla and Ritu Arya. This represented the more surreal offering. Set at different points within Wal Mart store, the bedroom of Celine Dion, and the room of young girl tortured by her parents, Bliss offered a searing critique of modern consumerism and was well received by reviewers and audiences alike.

Arts Listing

Semester One offers plenty of goings on around campus and Southampton, so if you want a break from the woes of University life here’s our guide to escaping it all.
Rum and Coca Cola is set on the beautiful island paradise of Trinidad, under the fiery heat of the Caribbean sun. This play which sees the directorial debut of Don Warrington, of Grumpy Old Men fame, it is gently humorous, bittersweet tale with a heart wrenching conclusion.

Rum and Coca Cola is on at the Nuffield theatre from the 13th -16th, tickets from £10.50

Middling English – an exhibition exploring some of the pleasures and complexities of language use, in and through writing. The exhibition brings together multi-sensory elements – spoken pieces, audiophonic compositions, printed broadsides and the strange memory world of pop lyrics – all presented through a stunning architectural installation. An animated webpiece accompanies the installation into the ether.

Middling English is on at the John Hansard Gallery until the 23rd October.

The Pillow Man – Theatre Group’s Halloween Play is a dark look into the world of child molestation, on at the Annex. It is sure to create a spooky atmosphere to perfectly accompany Halloween.

The Pillow Man is on at the Annex from the 20th – 23rd October.