We have all been there, the throbbing head, the dry mouth and the bitter taste of shame. Now as Freshers commences, Lifestyle believe it is their duty to offer some crucial hangover advice.
1. Water: drink as much as possible before you go to sleep and throughtout the next day.
2. Bananas: it’s full of the potassium you need to counteract the alcohol’s diuretic effect.
3. Eggs: eggs contain large amounts of cysteine which breaks down the toxin acetaldehyde in the liver- which causes the hangover.
4. Fruit juice: the fructose and vitamins in the tasty stuff will help revive your weary self
5. Sleep: After a night out on the town the best thing you can offer your body is rest. This is a big part of the recovery process, so stay in bed.
6. Avoid caffeine: A weak cup of coffee may be okay but a lot of caffeine will continue to dehydrate you.
7. Get your minerals: Eat mineral rich food like pickles or canned fish.
8. Get some exercise: Sweating out last nights booze can help you feel better, and more refreshed.
9. Say no to painkillers: The side effects of aspirin, tylenol and ibuprofen can be magnified when alcohol is in your system, so it is best (even though it may be the first thing you reach for) to avoid them to kill the hangover pain.
10. Stick to the old urban legend and keep on drinking.