The Student-Friendly Stir Fry

0

Ater a day that begins with a 9 am lectures, and ends with a lonely walk back home on Portswood High Street around 6pm are never fun and the last thing you want to think about is cooking dinner.

As students we then find ourselves chucking some pasta on the stove or calling in some takeaway. It’s a pattern that will lead to two things, a few extra pounds and far less pennies.

Fear not fellow students, if there is one meal even your eight year old brother could make it is the ever fulfilling and cheerfully cheap, stir fry.

The stir fry can also be easily tailored to your likes, dislikes and dietary needs. If you’re a vegetarian, this meal can be kept as a simple vegetable stir fry, but is so much more flavourful than a standard salad. Throw in your favorite vegeatables such as aubergine, asparagus, sweet corn and brocolli and you have yourself a healthy student feast.

For the carnivores out there, you can add juicy chicken breast into the mix amongst colourful veggies. To create a simple stir fry of your own follow these five steps:

(1) Bring a Wok or pan of water to the boil. Cut the broccoli into florets. Blanch broccoli and sweetcorn in water for 2 mins, then drain well.

(2) Cut the chicken into large pieces. Then peel ginger and cut into thin matchsticks. Trim and diagonally slice the spring onions. Peel carrots and cut into matchsticks. Trim green beans on both ends.

(3) Wipe the Wok with kitchen paper and heat oil until almost smoking. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 7-8 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

(4) Stir-fry the ginger, spring onions and carrots for 2 minutes. Stir in the broccoli and sweetcorn and cook for 1 minute.

(5) Whisk together the sauce ingredients: 150ml (1/4 pint) of chicken stock, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar, 1 tablespoon corn flour and 1 tablespoon soy sauce until smooth and well blended. Add to the pan, along with the chicken. Bring to boil and simmer for further 2 minutes, or until heated through.