Graze.com: Battling the Munchies Since 2009

0

For many people, including myself, healthy eating can seem like a great idea, but in reality it just doesn’t work out. Let’s face it; if one plate of Millie’s Cookies and one plate of dried fruit were placed in front of us, I’m sure the majority of us would go straight for the crumbly, sweet, buttery cookies. Don’t get me wrong, I pride myself in being able to occasionally go for the healthy choice: I’ll drink Innocent Smoothies, say no to the odd fry up, and try and eat vegetables with every dinner. But it’s January, and that can only mean one thing: the munchies.

Around exam time everyone finds themselves suddenly addicted to whatever chocolate, biscuits or crisps lurk in our cupboards, and Christmas chocolate is begging to be eaten. Despite our best efforts to maintain those New Year resolutions to go running, eat fewer kebabs, or cut down on snacking, the stress (or more likely boredom) of revision and deadlines throws everything out of the window.

So what could be better than a box of healthy but delicious treats delivered right to your door, with no fuss? No more passing by the dried fruit aisle with a guilty conscience, and no more panicking when you realise you actually just ate two packets of Jaffa Cakes without even noticing…

Graze is a company who realise that healthy eating is not easy at all. They know that we’d rather eat muffins than pumpkin seeds, and crisps instead of rice crackers. So they select four portions of healthy, nutritionally balanced snacks and regularly deliver them, whenever you like, right to your front door. They have over 120 options, ranging from Honeycomb flapjacks, to marinated olives and dried pineapple slices. Whether you prefer cherry-flavoured raisins or spicy cashew nuts, there really is something for everybody. You simply rate each selection according to your tastes: you can ‘bin’ them, meaning they’ll never be sent to you, ‘try’ them, ‘like’ them or ‘love’ them, and this will determine how regularly they’ll be sent to you. There are even special types of boxes depending on your needs, for example boxes which give you more energy. If you tend to graze on snacks throughout the day but always end up picking junk to eat, or you just  find healthy eating too much of an effort, Graze is a lifesaver. What more could a girl like me ask for?

The company was founded in 2009 and started by delivering snack boxes to office workers to combat snacking in the office. With some of its team being previously involved with the LOVEFiLM industry, its online efficiency and its simple ordering system has made it ever more popular. I found out about Graze from my mum when she ordered her first box. Knowing I liked healthy food, she recommended it to me and gave me a voucher for two free orders, and I couldn’t wait to get my first batch. To me, it was a brilliant idea: I love getting things through the post, and I love surprises, so not knowing what they’ll be sending was an added bonus. Wednesday morning came, and so did my box:

• Honey Nut Cashews
  • Citrus Marinated Olives
  • ‘Lost’ mix: dried banana, raisins and coconut flakes
  • ‘Milkshake mix’: Dried strawberry, banana and white chocolate buttons (yes, you heard, chocolate!)

And like many things, as soon as I discovered Graze, so did everyone else; all of a sudden it was popping up on my twitter and Facebook, and I even discovered my friend had been using it since before I had even heard of it.

As with everything amazing and healthy, unfortunately it doesn’t come very cheap: one box is £3.49 (including first class delivery) but for a treat every so often I think it’s worth it. That’s four portions and delivery, so it’s not as expensive as it first seems. You can cancel whenever you like; I have my box fortnightly, which saves money but gives me time to finish my previous order. And with their packaging being biodegradable and recyclable, there’s no need to worry about the environment.

I’ll be getting my next box in just over a week, and I still have three of my punnets left to eat. I’ve started to eat a little better without even realising it and it’s worth the scornful looks from my housemates when I turn down the offer of a Sunday morning bacon sandwich. Pass the raisins; I have some revision to do.

For more information visit http://www.graze.com/