Ditch the Winter Illnesses

0

Everyone has been there: the sniffles, the dry cough and the phlegmy groans that only you can understand. Yes, I am talking about the common cold or the flu. The average person catches between 2-4 colds a year, which can certainly go up if you are a student who drinks on a regular basis. With the freezing weather we are experiencing at the moment not helping the situation, here are some tips to hold that cold at bay:

Washing hands regularly – this is extremely important as germy hands coming into contact with the mouth is primarily how we get ill.

Lots of vitamin C – found in oranges, broccoli, strawberries, oranges, lemon juice and cauliflowers.

Fluids – both hot and cold. Grape juice is a particularly healthy source.

Shower – ‘what you trying to say?’ I hear you cry. Sounds obvious but taking regular hot showers when you have a cold moisturises the nasal passages, helping you to breathe easier.

Herbals – Ginger, garlic, Echinacea, peppermint are especially good sources. Try Twinings Echinacea & Raspberry tea which also includes orange and lemon peel in the ingredients.

Paper cups and towels – to save the spreading or worsening of your cold, use paper cups and towels so you can throw them away, along with your cold.

Rest – this is the most important one, as the more you let your body rest, the quicker your recovery.

Wear a mask – might look a bit odd in lectures, but hey, you’re not the one that’s going to come down with a cold…