Race for Life this Summer

0

The annual Race for Life event, a women-only 5k run to raise funds for Cancer Research UK, will take place at the Common on Saturday 10th July this Summer.

Over 300 races will be taking place all over the country, including in Winchester on Sunday 12th June. Both Southampton and Winchester races are due to start at 11 a.m, though arriving an hour early is advised to take part in the warm-up, as well as enjoy the energetic atmosphere.

The Race for Life started in 1994 and has since then seen over 5.4 million participants raise over £362 million. This year, the event is sponsored by Tesco and aims to get an ambitious 1 million women involved, either running, jogging or walking to raise funds that help Cancer Research UK. Many participants choose to get involved in the memory of a loved one who died from cancer. Others are simply keen to raise money for the organisation and its fantastic work in funding research into a ‘wide range’ of cancers.

Cancer Research UK is currently ‘aiming to enhance their programmes in early detection, screening and prevention’ in order to prevent the condition as much as possible. It has embarked on a five-year research plan, with the overall aim of ‘reducing mortality from cancer’. An estimated 25% of people die from the condition.

5k is the approximate equivalent of 3 miles, or roughly the same distance as walking down London’s Oxford Street, into Covent Garden and finishing on Regent Street via Soho. The event is non-competitive and participants can register online.

To find out how to register to take part in this year’s Race for Life, visit: http://www.raceforlife.org/choose-your-event.aspx